Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Hotpoint cooktop problem - igniter ticks on its own

I have a 7 yr old Hotpoint gas cooktop unit with electric start.
Recently, the electric igniter started igniting/ticking even when not
in use. It just goes on and on. The spark is visible when this happens.
Also noticed that when we do turn on the gas, the burner does not light
even as the igniter is going.
To get rid of the annoying ticking/sparking, I unplugged the igniter.
Now just light the burner using a match.
So, is the igniter broken? Anything else I can do before I call the
service tech?

This Hotpoint unit has been a pain since we got it. It came with the
new house. The surface of the unit is not easy to clean of grease. My
old Caloric unit was easy to clean and it was 15 years old. Had a
service tech once come in to replace the knobs which wouldn't turn
easily. This was in the 1st year, so was covered by warranty.
Thanks.
Mark Sabatini