Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Need temporary solution to flooding problem.

Hello,
I need a quick temporary solution to help my parents with a flooding
problem. They are both disabled and basically depend on others when
things go wrong and right now they are.

Houses in the area are all built on a hill. Our house is about halfway
on the hill. Flooding has never been a real problem until the last
couple of years. Now it doesnt really have rain that hard for it to
flood. Water comes down the hill right to their backdoor and comes
right in.
They have had several landscapers attempt to fix the problem and if
anything they made things much worse (like making concrete paths on the
hill that only makes it easier for the water to come down even faster).
My dad has also had 3 sump pumps installed but they just dont have the
flow rated needed. They had a concrete step put in front of the door so
the water has to rise to about 1 inch or so before it floods
I put up a small damm a few feet from the door and that improved
things but still not good enough for heavy downfall like we had last
night. Wet dry vac just was a waste of time it was coming in so fast.
Within a couple of minutes the whole house had flooded with the one
exception being the bathroom. Out of desperation I grabbed some plywood
and put it in front of the door. At first it did not work because the
concrete is porous and leaked like crazy. The concrete step has a pvc
pipe embeded for added strenght and placing the plywood on this surface
and then sitting on the board for 30 min for the rain to die down
worked pretty good. Water came up about 2 inches on the board (probably
3 + inches total because the wood was on top of the step as well.

Anyway they have some help coming but they are backed up and I want to
use this board as a shield into this other company does thier thing. I
am wonderig if there is some sort of rubber seal I could glue on the
pvc and then up along the door frame to get a water tight seal. Doesnt
need to be pernament but just good enough to work for a few weeks till
they get something better (a drainage ditch from what I understand).
Any ideas if some sort of rubber seal is availble or any suggestions?

Thanks, Fletch

Icemaker problem Andy Home Repair 12 April 16th 05 03:05 PM
Amana Washer Problem & Solution Mark Libby Home Repair 8 June 3rd 04 03:44 PM
Wiring problem A Nony Mous Home Repair 10 May 28th 04 03:00 AM
Whirlpool Duet Washer Drain Problem and Solution Brad Home Repair 11 March 1st 04 02:01 AM