Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
gary

Default Looking for vent with internal flapper

I'm looking for a vent or even a length of pipe that has an internal flapper
to keep cold from coming in for a dryer vent and for an hrv exhaust. I have
a project where I am residing and the previous duct hoods are all broken up
because they are right next to a narrow walkway and get damaged by bikes,
lawnmower etc.... I have a nice flat louvered grill make of vinyl which
fits nicely up to the new siding for the intakes for the hrv and furnace
make up air. The grills are 8" square and pop of nicely if any cleaning is
needed.

What I would like to do is use these same grills for my exhausts for a dryer
vent, hrv exhaust and a bathroom exhaust and have a damper that in integral
to the pipe so I can place is just inside of the grill jus inside the
exterior wall of the house (with enough space to open of course). Does such
a product exist?

Thanks
Gary

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
Alan Sung

"gary" wrote in message
[...]

Take a look at http://www.fantech.net/accessories3.htm#02
It is a spring loaded inline damper.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
gary

"Alan Sung" wrote in message
news
"gary" wrote in message
[...]

That is exactly what I am looking for! And it even has a gasket. Thanks Al

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
bill allemann

gary,
keep in mind that for a clothes dryer vent, you'll probably need to clean
out the lint occasionally.
Anything blocking the air flow will pick up lint.

bill

"gary" wrote in message

"Alan Sung" wrote in message
news
"gary" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
RicodJour

bill allemann wrote:
gary,
keep in mind that for a clothes dryer vent, you'll probably need to clean
out the lint occasionally.
Anything blocking the air flow will pick up lint.

I'd like to emphasize that. The inline damper will pick up a good bit
of lint fairly quickly. This will interfere with the damper's ability
to open and close.

Unless you have a means for easy access for cleaning, and plan on
cleaning it regularly, don't do it. You should determine the
maintenance schedule based on your usage and observation of the lint
accumulation in the early days/weeks of operation.

It's also something you should tell anyone who buys your house.

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
Alan Sung

"bill allemann" wrote in message
gary,
keep in mind that for a clothes dryer vent, you'll probably need to clean
out the lint occasionally.
Anything blocking the air flow will pick up lint.

bill

Here is an alternate form of a back draft damper which is basically a small
windsock inside a circular piece of duct. Air can flow thru in one direction
but if there's a backdraft, the windsock collapses. This backdraft damper is
not going to offer as tight a reverse airflow seal as a spring-loaded
butterfly damper, but it will not impede the forward airflow as much as
other dampers will.

See:
http://www.energyfederation.org/cons...744_546?osCsid
consumer=6137f11f9f59a81e65ddba924f5af9b2

I'm not sure if there's a temperature restriction when using a fabric basic
damper in a dryer application.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
Dennis

I'm looking for a vent or even a length of pipe that has an internal
flapper to keep cold from coming in for a dryer vent and for an hrv
exhaust. I have a project where I am residing and the previous duct hoods
are all broken up because they are right next to a narrow walkway and get
damaged by bikes,

I don't believe that an in-line damper is permitted by code. (The dampers
referenced by other respondents are designed for flex duct serving vent fan
exhausts). The code specifically prohibits the use of fire dampers in dryer
exhausts ducts, and this would be a similar situation.

The way the code reads is as follows: "614.4. Dryer exhaust ducts for
clothes dryers shall terminate outside the building and be equipped with a
backdraft damper." The IRC Commentary does not specifically address exactly
where the backdraft damper is to be installed, but there are specific
restrictions against ANY protrusion installed inside the duct. My personal
opinion is anything protruding into a dryer duct is a fire hazard and must
be avoided at all costs.

Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
CDET 14

This fabric looks like it will pick keep alot of lint from getting
through which is a fire hazard, and the fabric might be flammable,
which is a no-no in dryer vents.