T i m

Default Painting internal masonary?

Hi All,

A mate has been letting me store some car parts in his side workshop
and in return I'd like to give it a tidy up for him.

The main inner / deviding wall is fairly clean / dry render so I was
looking at (smooth) masionary paint in the sheds today. (There are
also a couple of (probably) solid brick external walls but they didn't
look damp and again are fairly clean (and I'm painting the idside of
them)).

But then I thought about emulsion . . you can paint that straight onto
internal brickwork / plaster in a house can't you so why not an
internal garage wall ..?

So, 10L of emulsion for £9 or 10L of (external?[1]) masionary paint
for £19 please?

All the best ..

T i m

[1] I couldn't seem to see 'Internal' maisonary paint or is that
'emulsion' ..?

p.s. For the total amount the paint will cost either way, the 'best'
way would be prefered over the cheapest please?

Mary Fisher

[1] I couldn't seem to see 'Internal' maisonary paint or is that
'emulsion' ..?

Try 'Masonry' paint. We're not Fr*nch.

Mary

Steve Walker

Mary Fisher wrote:
[1] I couldn't seem to see 'Internal' maisonary paint or is that
'emulsion' ..?

Try 'Masonry' paint. We're not Fr*nch.

Speak for yourself, Rosbif.... )

T i m

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:20:09 +0100, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
[1] I couldn't seem to see 'Internal' maisonary paint or is that
'emulsion' ..?

Try 'Masonry' paint. We're not Fr*nch.

Speak for yourself, Rosbif.... )

Yeah .. that told her!

And how does she know what maisonary is (she probably thinks I'm
talking about walls ..scheech) ;-)

It wasn't even made by bees!

T i m
John Rumm

T i m wrote:

The main inner / deviding wall is fairly clean / dry render so I was
looking at (smooth) masionary paint in the sheds today. (There are
also a couple of (probably) solid brick external walls but they didn't
look damp and again are fairly clean (and I'm painting the idside of
them)).

But then I thought about emulsion . . you can paint that straight onto
internal brickwork / plaster in a house can't you so why not an
internal garage wall ..?

So, 10L of emulsion for £9 or 10L of (external?[1]) masionary paint
for £19 please?

Personally I would go for a masonry paint, like the Layland Pliolite ones:

http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/site...s.asp?range=10

It will paint over most surfaces, and is a little more tolerant should
the wall get damp at any point.

--
Cheers,

John.

T i m

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:13:31 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

So, 10L of emulsion for £9 or 10L of (external?[1]) masionary paint
for £19 please?

Personally I would go for a masonry paint, like the Layland Pliolite ones:

http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/site...s.asp?range=10

It will paint over most surfaces, and is a little more tolerant should
the wall get damp at any point.

Ah, thanks for that John.

I have used Leyland floor paint in my workshop and it is good stuff.

All the best .. ;-)

T i m

Chris Bacon

T i m wrote:
So, 10L of emulsion for £9

No! Don't buy this paint, it's likely to be absolute rubbish -
"I have done this [A.S.-]".

or 10L of (external?[1]) masionary paint for £19 please?

That sounds better.... you do, to a large degree, get what
you pay for. The very cheap stuff is likely to have very
poor coverage, and it may not adhere well. If you put crap
on his wall, and it shortly looks as if it's developed a
really bad case of eczema, you won't be popular!
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
[1] I couldn't seem to see 'Internal' maisonary paint or is that
'emulsion' ..?

Try 'Masonry' paint. We're not Fr*nch.

Speak for yourself, Rosbif.... )

Yeah .. that told her!

Yeah!

?

And how does she know what maisonary is (she probably thinks I'm
talking about walls ..scheech) ;-)

It wasn't even made by bees!

No, it's a brick wall - you described it extremely well in your original
post :-)

Memory going? It happens to the best of us!

Mary

T i m

T i m

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:14:16 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

T i m wrote:
So, 10L of emulsion for £9

No! Don't buy this paint, it's likely to be absolute rubbish -
"I have done this [A.S.-]".

Ah, ok .. ;-)

or 10L of (external?[1]) masionary paint for £19 please?

That sounds better.... you do, to a large degree, get what
you pay for. The very cheap stuff is likely to have very
poor coverage, and it may not adhere well. If you put crap
on his wall, and it shortly looks as if it's developed a
really bad case of eczema, you won't be popular!

Ideed not .. and why I (and he even though he's paying for it) would
choose a 'good' over 'cheap' solution.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything .. you know ..
"why did you waste your money using that when emulsion is all you
needed" sorta thing ..? (especially as I couldn't see anything marked
as 'Internal Masonary paint' ?)

Thanks for the input ..

All the best ..

T i m

T i m

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:49:34 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

No, it's a brick wall - you described it extremely well in your original
post :-)

I mentioned no post?

Memory going? It happens to the best of us!

It is? It does?

Where am I ... ?

Mary Fisher

wrote:

No, it's a brick wall - you described it extremely well in your original
post :-)

I mentioned no post?

Memory going? It happens to the best of us!

It is? It does?

Where am I ... ?

Thursday

Mary
I think ...

Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

... (especially as I couldn't see anything marked
as 'Internal Masonary paint' ?)

Not surprised!

:-)

Mary

Lobster

John Rumm wrote:
T i m wrote:

But then I thought about emulsion . . you can paint that straight onto
internal brickwork / plaster in a house can't you so why not an
internal garage wall ..?

Personally I would go for a masonry paint, like the Layland Pliolite ones:

http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/site...s.asp?range=10

Isn't there some reason why you shouldn't use external masonry paint
indoors (although whether a garage/workshop consitutes indoors is maybe
a moot point!)? Was it something to do with added fungicides or
solvents maybe?

David
Mary Fisher

"Lobster" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
T i m wrote:

But then I thought about emulsion . . you can paint that straight onto
internal brickwork / plaster in a house can't you so why not an
internal garage wall ..?

Isn't there some reason why you shouldn't use external masonry paint
indoors (although whether a garage/workshop consitutes indoors is maybe a
moot point!)? Was it something to do with added fungicides or solvents
maybe?

Fffffffffffffff ... sucks teeth

You're just confusing the lad now!

Mary