Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Electrical - Wiring a pendant light from a cabinet valence

am currently in the design stage of my new kitchen. I plan to
install new cabinets. In some cases, I plan to create a valence where
two cabinets surround a window. I would like to hang a sconce in front

of the window.

Here is my plan,

Attach a horizontal cabinet "ceiling" board to the surrounding cabinets

to attach a ceiling box to hang the sconce from. I would run the
electrical behind the drywall and expose it an inch or two above the
cabinet "ceiling" board through a hole in the drywall with enough extra

to attach it to the ceiling box.

My question is, can I run the Romex (14/2-lights only) unprotected from

the hole in the drywall to the ceiling box or do I need to protect it
with metal sheathing? The height is ~7' 6" above the floor.

Do you have any suggestions or modifications to this plan?

Much appreciated and Happy Holidays,

Posted to misc.consumers.house

My apologies, I meant pendent lights and not sconces.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

How about putting in a switched outlet instead? I just did this in my
kitchen remodel. I put an outlet horizontal at the top of each cabinet
run. Cabinets are 12" down from the ceiling, and the lower edge of the
outlet is about 1/2 to 1" above the cabinet. With the crown molding on
they are completly hidden from view. I split the duplex outlets so
they are controlled by a dual switch. One controls the above cabinet
lighting - $5 Christmas rope lights laying on top of the cabinet for a
mood/night light effect. The other is for the under cabinet lighting -
hologen plug in kits from Costco - 5 halogens lights for $15. Just
drilled a 1/2" hole in the top and bottom of the cabinet and run the
cord through the inside of the cabinet.

Hanging Light Fixture to Ceiling without an Electrical Box [email protected] Home Repair 14 January 4th 06 07:52 PM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
Changing a light bulb on R.C.M Tom Gardner Metalworking 24 June 6th 04 12:58 AM
light wiring problem I J H UK diy 7 September 8th 03 09:55 PM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM