Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Electrical - Wiring a pendant light from a cabinet valence

am currently in the design stage of my new kitchen. I plan to
install new cabinets. In some cases, I plan to create a valence where
two cabinets surround a window. I would like to hang a sconce in front

of the window.

Here is my plan,

Attach a horizontal cabinet "ceiling" board to the surrounding cabinets

to attach a ceiling box to hang the sconce from. I would run the
electrical behind the drywall and expose it an inch or two above the
cabinet "ceiling" board through a hole in the drywall with enough extra

to attach it to the ceiling box.

My question is, can I run the Romex (14/2-lights only) unprotected from

the hole in the drywall to the ceiling box or do I need to protect it
with metal sheathing? The height is ~7' 6" above the floor.

Do you have any suggestions or modifications to this plan?

Much appreciated and Happy Holidays,