Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Double-Tap?

Can I double tap off main breaker to feed two sub-panels?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

That's what cops do when they shoot a suspect.-Jitney

Posted to misc.consumers.house
briz

You should install a new Main Breaker in the old panel to run your sub
panel. For example... Put in a 60 and run #6 wire from that breaker to
your Sub. Then what ever else you have to the sub as long as it does
not draw more than your main can feed. Simple just do the math. Steve

Posted to misc.consumers.house

My main service has two 100A double pole breakers. Each one feeds a
panel. I need one of those breakers for my new shop, so I need to know
if I can feed my two panels in my house with one breaker and feed my
shop with the spare. Is there a device that i can use to put four wires
into one breaker. The reason I have two panels in my house is because I
used to have electric heat.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Howard Beale

wrote in message
ups.com...
My main service has two 100A double pole breakers. Each one feeds a
panel. I need one of those breakers for my new shop, so I need to know
if I can feed my two panels in my house with one breaker and feed my
shop with the spare. Is there a device that i can use to put four wires
into one breaker. The reason I have two panels in my house is because I
used to have electric heat.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work and I'm very sure it wouldn't be safe.

Buy another breaker for your shop and feed from one of your panels to the
new subpanel in your garage.

If you lack panel space, look into the half-size breakers. You could
replace some of your existing breakers with these same-amperage, thinner
breakers and make space.

Otherwise, call an electrician or at least pull a permit so someone can
verify what you're doing won't electrocute you or burn down your house.