Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
DogDaddy

Default Water Softer Salt

The discharge from water softner is killing the grass in my yard.
Is there anything else I can use besides the bags of salt?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
John A. Weeks III

In article ,
"DogDaddy" wrote:

The discharge from water softner is killing the grass in my yard.
Is there anything else I can use besides the bags of salt?

Are you in the city or country? If you are in the city, put
the discharge down the drain. Let the city process it. If
you have a septic system, the salt can be bad for the drain field
over time. The discharge water comes from back-flushing the
water softener. Anything that is neutralized will go out with
the back-flush, so I assume that those things are considered
harmful if you are trying to keep them out of your water. You
might want to collect the back flush and let if evaporate, or
dump it on gravel away from the lawn & trees. If you have a
holding tank, it should be OK to let it run down the drain.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house
DogDaddy

Yes, I do have a septic, that's why I'm discharging to my yard.
Will Potassium Choride work as well as salt.
This may be the answer.

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote in message
"DogDaddy" wrote:

The discharge from water softner is killing the grass in my yard.
Is there anything else I can use besides the bags of salt?

Why are you discharging your softener into the yard? Somehow, I don't
think
that's code, even if you are on a septic system.

Anyway, you could try using KCl (Potassium Choride) pellets instead of
Sodium
Chloride. They cost a few dollars more per bag, but should be much easier
on the
lawn until you get a more permanent solution.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"DogDaddy" wrote:

Yes, I do have a septic, that's why I'm discharging to my yard.

Well, unfortunately you discovered why that isn't a good idea...

Will Potassium Choride work as well as salt.
This may be the answer.

Potassium is a major component of fertilizer. The problem is that although its
less potent salt wise than Sodium Chloride, its still a salt. If you've
saturated the ground with brine already, using KCl won't help things.

Details he

http://www.newfarm.org/depts/readerm...5/0512_5.shtml
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bob Rahe

In article ,
John A. Weeks III wrote:
In article ,
"DogDaddy" wrote:

The discharge from water softner is killing the grass in my yard.
Is there anything else I can use besides the bags of salt?

Are you in the city or country? If you are in the city, put
the discharge down the drain. Let the city process it. If
you have a septic system, the salt can be bad for the drain field
over time. The discharge water comes from back-flushing the

I got an EPA report a while back, via UMich, I think, that said
the softener regen is not harmful to a properly functioning septic system
and in some soil situations can actually be helpful.

If you can't find it with google I can probably dig it up...

--
---------------------------------------------------------------------_------
|Bob Rahe, MIEEE, (RWR50) / ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) |

Posted to misc.consumers.house
J Swain

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:

(Bob Rahe) wrote:

I got an EPA report a while back, via UMich, I think, that said
the softener regen is not harmful to a properly functioning septic system
and in some soil situations can actually be helpful.

If you can't find it with google I can probably dig it up...

found these...
http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/gndwater/pri...m%20Owners.htm

I would like a copy of that also, if its not a hassle....

found these...not all agree with each other..

http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/gndwater/pri...m%20Owners.htm

http://outreach.missouri.edu/webster...watersoft.html

http://www.egr.msu.edu/age/aenewslet..._02/loudon.htm

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bob Rahe

In article ,
Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
(Bob Rahe) wrote:

I got an EPA report a while back, via UMich, I think, that said
the softener regen is not harmful to a properly functioning septic system
and in some soil situations can actually be helpful.

If you can't find it with google I can probably dig it up...

I would like a copy of that also, if its not a hassle....

I think this is it:

http://www.epa.gov/ORD/NRMRL/Pubs/62...8/html/fs3.htm

--
---------------------------------------------------------------------_------
|Bob Rahe, MIEEE, (RWR50) / ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) |
|Delaware Technical & Community College / - against HTML email X |
|Computer Center, Dover, Delaware / & vCards / \ |
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

(Bob Rahe) wrote:

I think this is it:

http://www.epa.gov/ORD/NRMRL/Pubs/62...8/html/fs3.htm

Thank you! This was extremely helpful and timely, as I am considering moving to
a house on a septic system after having been on a sewer for years. The house
also has a well, sunk into cracked limestone, so the water will be quite hard.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

J Swain wrote:

found these...
http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/gndwater/pri...m%20Owners.htm

I would like a copy of that also, if its not a hassle....

found these...not all agree with each other..

http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/gndwater/pri...m%20Owners.htm

http://outreach.missouri.edu/webster...watersoft.html

http://www.egr.msu.edu/age/aenewslet..._02/loudon.htm

Thank you - very helpful.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Ron Peterson

DogDaddy wrote:
Yes, I do have a septic, that's why I'm discharging to my yard.
Will Potassium Choride work as well as salt.

Yes, I use Nature's Own softener salt (KCl) and it works fine in the
water softener, but I have city sewer and the recycle flushes down the
sewer.

I use KCl/CaCl based deicers on my sidewalk to save my grass and
driveway.

--
Ron