Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default smoke smell

My fiancee and I bought a house and moved in a week ago. Last night I
went to bake some cookies. I did everything right, even setting an egg
timer for 10 minutes. Unfortunately, about 7 minutes later I smelled
something burning. When I went into the kitchen there was black smoke
pouring out of the oven. We ran around opening windows despite the
cold and set up fans to blow out the smoke. Unfortunately now most of
the first floor smells horrible. I just painted all the walls and laid
new carpet as well as wahsed all the clothes and cabinets. Do I have
to start all over, or is there some easier way to get rid of the smell
quickly and easily? Please help!

Posted to misc.consumers.house

By the way, my fiancee thinks the thermostat is broken on the oven and
that it did not stop heating at 350 degrees like it should have, so now
we have to either have it fixed or buy a new one. Talk about bad luck!

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Don Phillipson

wrote in message
oups.com...

My fiancee and I bought a house and moved in a week ago. Last night I
went to bake some cookies. I did everything right, even setting an egg
timer for 10 minutes. Unfortunately, about 7 minutes later I smelled
something burning. When I went into the kitchen there was black smoke
pouring out of the oven. We ran around opening windows despite the
cold and set up fans to blow out the smoke. Unfortunately now most of
the first floor smells horrible. I just painted all the walls and laid
new carpet as well as wahsed all the clothes and cabinets. Do I have
to start all over, or is there some easier way to get rid of the smell
quickly and easily? Please help!

Try vinegar. Leave uncovered overnight two or more dinner
plates with 1/4 inch of vinegar. This was how students
used to absorb cigarette smells after late parties. No
guarantees but it costs nothing and is worth a try.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Don Phillipson wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Thanks! I will give it a try!

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Al Bundy

Clean the oven as best you can. The smell in the rest of the house will
gradually go away on it's own.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
echo

You could try an Aranizer. I know it removes tobacco odors. I love the
smell of the 'air' that it produces, but a friend doesn't.

www.aranizer.com.

best prices on a few models:

www.fernsnutrition.com

question about interconnected smoke detectors autonut843 Home Repair 13 December 17th 05 12:44 AM
300W PC power supply, no POST beep, smell, smoke, bang,dead N Cook Electronics Repair 7 August 18th 05 01:33 AM
Where is this Urine smell coming from? theonyxguy Home Repair 19 June 1st 05 08:48 PM
Help - I smell smoke Steve Woodworking 6 January 5th 05 03:42 PM
Smoke smell from A/C? Eyes burning. jan Home Repair 7 November 18th 03 03:04 AM