Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default smoke smell

My fiancee and I bought a house and moved in a week ago. Last night I
went to bake some cookies. I did everything right, even setting an egg
timer for 10 minutes. Unfortunately, about 7 minutes later I smelled
something burning. When I went into the kitchen there was black smoke
pouring out of the oven. We ran around opening windows despite the
cold and set up fans to blow out the smoke. Unfortunately now most of
the first floor smells horrible. I just painted all the walls and laid
new carpet as well as wahsed all the clothes and cabinets. Do I have
to start all over, or is there some easier way to get rid of the smell
quickly and easily? Please help!