Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

paranoid

Default new house basement seepage?

We are supposed to close on this house in about 2 weeks, and we have noticed
that on one of the basement walls (block), there are some noticeable damp
areas. This is in the garage part of the basement, but on the other side of
the basement (same wall), there isn't any damp or wet areas...

We brought this up to the builder, and he says this is normal for new
construction as it is "drying" out, or something along those lines....

I'm not sure what to believe, but I don't want a major problem in a few
years...

TIA

Rich Greenberg

In article IsNaf.796$ip6.38@trnddc07, paranoid wrote:
We are supposed to close on this house in about 2 weeks, and we have noticed
that on one of the basement walls (block), there are some noticeable damp
areas. This is in the garage part of the basement, but on the other side of
the basement (same wall), there isn't any damp or wet areas...

We brought this up to the builder, and he says this is normal for new
construction as it is "drying" out, or something along those lines....

I'm not sure what to believe, but I don't want a major problem in a few
years...

I wouldn't trust the builder. Get a professional inspection pronto!

I second the motion...to get a professional inspection. Not one the
builder recommends, but one that works for you. Take pictures and
document this. Some builders tell you what you want to hear, that it's
"nothing," and keep everything on a verbal level. Then when the
warranty runs out, you have zilch to prove you even notified them of
the problem, and they deny that you did. Be cordial and retional, but
firm, and document everything. The builder should always be notified
in writing by certified return receipt mail of defects, and in fact
many states have passed "right to cure" laws that require you notify
them that way.

Don Phillipson

"paranoid" wrote in message

We are supposed to close on this house in about 2 weeks, and we have

noticed
that on one of the basement walls (block), there are some noticeable damp
areas. This is in the garage part of the basement, but on the other side

of
the basement (same wall), there isn't any damp or wet areas...

We brought this up to the builder, and he says this is normal for new
construction as it is "drying" out, or something along those lines....

If you do not want to pay for an engineer's opinion ($100 to $200)
get your lawyer to obtain from the builder a signed statement (a) that
this particular dampness is the normal concrete curing process
with (b) specific reference to your legal guarantee of fitness (state
or municipal law requiring the builder to repair defects at his own
expense.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Gini

"paranoid" wrote in message
We are supposed to close on this house in about 2 weeks, and we have
noticed that on one of the basement walls (block), there are some
noticeable damp areas. This is in the garage part of the basement, but on
the other side of the basement (same wall), there isn't any damp or wet
areas...

We brought this up to the builder, and he says this is normal for new
construction as it is "drying" out, or something along those lines....

I'm not sure what to believe, but I don't want a major problem in a few
years...

====
We had a similar situation in our new construction. It went away after the
gutters/downspouts were installed.
====

ameijers

"paranoid" wrote in message
We are supposed to close on this house in about 2 weeks, and we have

noticed
that on one of the basement walls (block), there are some noticeable damp
areas. This is in the garage part of the basement, but on the other side

of
the basement (same wall), there isn't any damp or wet areas...

We brought this up to the builder, and he says this is normal for new
construction as it is "drying" out, or something along those lines....

I'm not sure what to believe, but I don't want a major problem in a few
years...

We can't see your house from here. Could be nothing, could be a real
problem. If this is in the garage space and door was open, could just be
condensation collecting in that spot. If the HVAC is running, it may be
drying up as fast as it appears on the other side, even if it is a leak. Is
the yard grading and gutter system in place and done yet? Could just be a
void in the backfill right there collecting water, and the builder cheaped
out on the foundation waterproofing on that end, since it is 'just a
garage'. How much of the backside of the wall is above grade where the damp
spot is? They often leave the above-grade part 'naked', so if there is
ponding in the yard, it can seep through the wall.

If it worries you, invest the few hundred for an outside inspection and
professional opinion. Not a bad idea for a new house anyway, if your
construction expertise is lacking. Do it before you close- if there is a
major problem, it is cheaper to walk away before the papers are signed, even
if you lose the front money.

aem sends...

Al Bundy

Most new homes have a degree of dampness for awhile. Some builders will
even turn the furnace up high and let it run for days to dry it out
some. However, I would not expect to see noticeable damp block walls at
this point because those walls went up first and the outside should
have been waterproofed. The fact that it's only the one wall says
there's something going on there. If it's wet now, it probably will be
wetter later. If it's noticeable enough to take a picture and post
here, maybe someone could provide a more qualified view.

paranoid

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Most new homes have a degree of dampness for awhile. Some builders will
even turn the furnace up high and let it run for days to dry it out
some. However, I would not expect to see noticeable damp block walls at
this point because those walls went up first and the outside should
have been waterproofed. The fact that it's only the one wall says
there's something going on there. If it's wet now, it probably will be
wetter later. If it's noticeable enough to take a picture and post
here, maybe someone could provide a more qualified view.

Well, the builder has said that rain got in the blocks while it was being
built, and that's what we are seeing...

Do I believe him, not quite...

The gutters above this wall, are clogged with leaves, but it hasn't really
rained here (substantially )for about 2 to 3 weeks, so maybe it isn't a
leak, since there isn't anything to leak in....

As others have pointed out, this can be difficult to diagnose even
looking at it and is impossible to do without seeing it. I'd get a
home inspector to check out the entire house before closing. Even if
he only spots a couple of things that you can get the builder to make
right, it is well worth the $350 or so that it will cost.

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:31:09 -0500, someone wrote:

If you do not want to pay for an engineer's opinion ($100 to $200)
get your lawyer to obtain from the builder a signed statement (a) that
this particular dampness is the normal concrete curing process
with (b) specific reference to your legal guarantee of fitness (state
or municipal law requiring the builder to repair defects at his own
expense.)

Don Phillipson

That's big talk Don. You gonna come over and put a gun to his head
and tell him either his brains or his signature is gonna be on that
letter? WHAT A LAUGH! You think he would actually do it???? WHY?
(The first half he might actually do, but the second? HA!)