ameijers

Default new house basement seepage?

"paranoid" wrote in message
news:IsNaf.796$ip6.38@trnddc07...
We are supposed to close on this house in about 2 weeks, and we have

noticed
that on one of the basement walls (block), there are some noticeable damp
areas. This is in the garage part of the basement, but on the other side

of
the basement (same wall), there isn't any damp or wet areas...

We brought this up to the builder, and he says this is normal for new
construction as it is "drying" out, or something along those lines....

I'm not sure what to believe, but I don't want a major problem in a few
years...

We can't see your house from here. Could be nothing, could be a real
problem. If this is in the garage space and door was open, could just be
condensation collecting in that spot. If the HVAC is running, it may be
drying up as fast as it appears on the other side, even if it is a leak. Is
the yard grading and gutter system in place and done yet? Could just be a
void in the backfill right there collecting water, and the builder cheaped
out on the foundation waterproofing on that end, since it is 'just a
garage'. How much of the backside of the wall is above grade where the damp
spot is? They often leave the above-grade part 'naked', so if there is
ponding in the yard, it can seep through the wall.

If it worries you, invest the few hundred for an outside inspection and
professional opinion. Not a bad idea for a new house anyway, if your
construction expertise is lacking. Do it before you close- if there is a
major problem, it is cheaper to walk away before the papers are signed, even
if you lose the front money.

aem sends...