Don Phillipson

Default new house basement seepage?

"paranoid" wrote in message
news:IsNaf.796$ip6.38@trnddc07...

We are supposed to close on this house in about 2 weeks, and we have

noticed
that on one of the basement walls (block), there are some noticeable damp
areas. This is in the garage part of the basement, but on the other side

of
the basement (same wall), there isn't any damp or wet areas...

We brought this up to the builder, and he says this is normal for new
construction as it is "drying" out, or something along those lines....

If you do not want to pay for an engineer's opinion ($100 to $200)
get your lawyer to obtain from the builder a signed statement (a) that
this particular dampness is the normal concrete curing process
with (b) specific reference to your legal guarantee of fitness (state
or municipal law requiring the builder to repair defects at his own
expense.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs