Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

david

Default Home window tint

hi
Anyone used GILA films Do it yourself window tint in their homes please
post your experience with the product etc.

thanks

Craig

"david" wrote...
hi
Anyone used GILA films Do it yourself window tint in their homes please
post your experience with the product etc.

thanks

I'm not sure what brand I used, but I bought sheets of window tinting
plastic film from Home Depot for several large windows a few years ago. It
was quite a job, mostly I think because each window was about 4-feet square.
The squeegee that came with the film got the bubbles out and whatever
bubbles behind the film that arose in the next couple of days disappeared
after a couple weeks.

The instructions also gave advice on removing the film but I never tried
that.

Craig

david

Craig wrote:
"david" wrote...
hi
Anyone used GILA films Do it yourself window tint in their homes please
post your experience with the product etc.

thanks

I'm not sure what brand I used, but I bought sheets of window tinting
plastic film from Home Depot for several large windows a few years ago. It
was quite a job, mostly I think because each window was about 4-feet square.
The squeegee that came with the film got the bubbles out and whatever
bubbles behind the film that arose in the next couple of days disappeared
after a couple weeks.

The instructions also gave advice on removing the film but I never tried
that.

Craig

Thanks Craig for your reply. A couple of more questions. Did you cut
the film to size before your installed ? or did you use an edging tool
to cut the oversize film to size after application? If using the
edging tool how do you get the 1/16 inch space between the film and the
frame for thermal expansion. Any specail trick

thanks

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"david" wrote...
hi
Anyone used GILA films Do it yourself window tint in their homes please
post your experience with the product etc.

thanks

I used the Gila 'Low e' film some 15+ years ago on several single glazed western
exposure windows in a house. It worked quite well.

But you need to be careful. Using some films on double glazed windows can void
the window warranty and actually damage the window due to heat buildup inside
the glass.

Craig

"david" wrote...

Craig wrote:
[...]

No

or did you use an edging tool
to cut the oversize film to size after application? If using the
edging tool how do you get the 1/16 inch space between the film and the
frame for thermal expansion. Any specail trick

I guess I used a metal straight edge and razor --or maybe the cutter they
supplied.