Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Doug

Default Odd behavior in the neighborhood

This might be off topic, but I'm not sure what other newsgroup to ask.

For about 6 months now we have noticed a car parked on our street off and on
in various places and thought nothing of it even though we could not place
it with any neighbor.

One day my wife saw a guy park a car we had not noticed before, get out with
a briefcase, lock it up, get in the other car and drive off.

Since that day we have noticed one or the other of those two cars in the
neighborhood, never both at the same time. They are normally parked 2 days,
maybe three. Never more since we have been paying attention. Our city
ordinance limits street parking to 72 hours.

I have asked a couple of neighbors if they know anything about this. Only
one has noticed the two cars but not the guy that drives them.

I walk my dog in the area quite a bit and have been keeping an eye out for
either car and have never seen one in the surrounding neighborhoods.

My wife suggested that he lives in the apartment complex three blocks away
and only has one assigned parking spot and that he thinks this is a safe
neighborhood to park his extra car in. Could be I suppose.

What the heck is this guy doing?

Thanks,
dj

John A. Weeks III

In article , "Doug"
wrote:
[...]

This is a classical pigeon drop. One guy picks up the car, and
puts in the contraband goods. He parks it. The next guy picks
up the car later on, does a delivery (or takes it to the next
drop site), then brings it back a while later. It all looks
innocent to the casual observer. They are likely distributing
crack or meth from an up stream supplier down to the regional
distributors. Call your local police dept and let them know.
That might put them on the trail of some of the big distributors.

It could also be a sting operation in progress.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

DA

Doug wrote:

[...]

People call police for much smaller things. I'm surprised you even had to
ask in a newsgroup at all. Just call the cops. Chances are they have seen
the car(s) while on their usual routes, so they may have an answer for you
already. Else they may be able to track the car down in a matter of
minutes and then decide what to do with it.

Cheers!
D.
-------------------------------------

Delivered via http://www.equity-loan.info/
Your home, its financing and everything about it
misc.consumers.house - 9029 messages and counting!
Tightwad

Out of town salesmen working together.
If it were nefarious they wouldn't let you see them.

EXT

In my neighbourhood, before the developers attached it to a development and
increased traffic 100 fold, we had a similar amusing thing happen.

Our street was a dead end street with 40 houses on it. Everybody knew
everybody's cars and immediately a stranger's car parked on the side drew
attention. A strange car was parked on our street with two men in it. It was
there several days a week for a couple of weeks. At the end of the two
weeks, it pulled into my driveway while I was working in the garage. The men
got out and flashed their police badges, identifying themselves as cops from
the city force about 2 miles south.

It appears they were in our town on a stake-out, watching some storefronts
across a field. Their main problem was that neighbours had reported them 5
times to the local town cops, and they felt that they were standing out with
all the attention. They asked if they could park on the bottom of our
driveway, which would get them off the street and still give them a good
view of the storefront. I agreed and they stayed a couple more days then
departed.

You never know what is going down, or what someone is up to!

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

Doug

wrote:

My wife suggested that he lives in the apartment complex three blocks
away
and only has one assigned parking spot and that he thinks this is a safe
neighborhood to park his extra car in. Could be I suppose.

What the heck is this guy doing?

'
'

Go ask him.

I was planning on doing just that if I ever saw him. AFAIK only my wife has
seen the one guy and she saw him only once.

After another reply that this might be some sort of drug thing going on I
think I'll just call the police. I just didn't see how to justify 'a guy
parked his car legally on our public street but I'm calling anyway'.

Thanks,
dj

Doug

What the heck is this guy doing?

This is a classical pigeon drop. One guy picks up the car, and
puts in the contraband goods. He parks it. The next guy picks
up the car later on, does a delivery (or takes it to the next
drop site), then brings it back a while later. It all looks
innocent to the casual observer. They are likely distributing
crack or meth from an up stream supplier down to the regional
distributors. Call your local police dept and let them know.
That might put them on the trail of some of the big distributors.

It could also be a sting operation in progress.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

I just had a hard time believing it is something like this. Maybe I'm
overreacting to the 'too much TV' thing.

I'm gonna call.

Thanks,
dj

John A. Weeks III

In article , "Doug"
wrote:

I just had a hard time believing it is something like this. Maybe I'm
overreacting to the 'too much TV' thing.

I'm gonna call.

I think it is worth a call. This kind of stuff happens every
day all across the USA, so there is no reason to think that
your neighborhood is exempt. When I was young and dumb, I
spent 3 years working drug enforcement, including an assignment
on one of the biggest drug busts up until that time. They
were delivering heroin throughout the midwest using fake
pizza deliveries. The ring went so far as to set up a whole
chain of small pizza stores in little towns across the midwest
trying to keep low key. It was one person reporting a suspicious
act that blew the case wide open--a person in a small town in
Wisconsin called 911 to ask why someone would drive up from
Illinois to pick up a pizza in a town of 400 people.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com