Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Steve

Default Realtors and the MLS database

Excerpts from Marke****ch -

This week, the US Dept of Justice filed suit against the National
Association of Realtors, saying the trade group's policy regarding the
online use of home sale listings from its MLS database is
anti-competitive.

Realtors think they own the data about your house. And they have
jealously guarded that "ownership," which was a lot easier to do
before the Internet age.

In this new world, real estate agents do not distinguish themselves
because they have exclusive access to listings data. They create value
by providing a wide array of services and analysis - not information
that consumers can get themselves.

It's not hard to imagine the day when there is one giant public
database of all the housing stock in the US that contains all the
information about a property that you would expect to find on a
standard listing sheet. All you would have to do if you wanted to sell
is set an alert on your file, and any for-sale searches would turn up
your house.

Who would own that data? Like any public record, we all would.

Would we still need a million realtors then? That may be the real
issue in this debate.

SMS

Steve wrote:

Would we still need a million realtors then? That may be the real
issue in this debate.

One good thing about the large quantity of realtors is that it is
creating a lot of downward pressure on commissions. You can sell a
million dollar house for around $10,000 in commission now, where as in
the past some people paid as much as 6%, and the average was somewhere
between 4% and 5%.

There is one real estate company in Silicon Valley that has taken out
these bizarre advertisements, claiming that they get more money for your
house than discount real estate companies, and the difference is more
than what you save in commission from a lower cost real estate company.
However their data is highly flawed, and they actually admit as much in
the fine print, which I assume that they hope no one reads.

In H-town Texas, it has been 3% for a while now. However, most of my
realtor friends give back some money(commission) to their customers in
order to get their business. One of my realtor friends is only charging
1%. He is counting on doing volume.

"By the way, MLSs get most of their data from the public sources too.
Whatever noises dumb realtors and appraisers make from time to time
about ownership of the data, these go away fairly fast. The reason is
that you can't copyright facts! "

I don't know where you're living, but here in NJ, the MLS is the most
tightly controlled guarded possession of the realtors. It's the
listing of properties for sale in the area that is shared by the
realtors and is extremely important to be in if you want to sell your
house. You can't get your property into it without listing it with a
realtor and that is the lock that they use to get their 6% commission,
which is what most are still paying here.

What this amounts to is price fixing, and anything the FTC can do to
open this up will be a big plus.

"What you're talking and about and what I'm talking about are two
completely unrelated issues. "

Gee, no kidding? What do you think the original post about DOJ going
after realtors over the MLS database was about. The listings is the
only thing they have that anyone cares about. It's over the realtors
trade practices of controlling their MLS, which restricts free trade
and amounts to price fixing.

"What you're describing is the case everywhere in the US, but in most
places (including NJ, I believe) there are plenty of realtors who
would list your property for a small fixed fee in the MLS"

Show me one in NJ. No realtor here will do it for a small fixed fee.
Foxtons will do it for 3% And that is the lock that DOJ is trying to
crack.

"That's what I was talking about! Unless you find the buyer who doesn't

have an agent or whose agent will accept a reduced commission, you
WILL have to pay at least 3% to the buyer's agent. But you're not
paying anything extra to get listed in the MLS. "

What exactly are you referring too? You made the claim that in NJ you
could get into the MLS for a small flat fee. 3% is a small flat fee?

"Unless you find the buyer who doesn't have an agent or whose agent
will accept a reduced commission, you
WILL have to pay at least 3% to the buyer's agent. But you're not
paying anything extra to get listed in the MLS. "

Here in NJ the vast majority are paying another 3%, because they get
into the MLS by going through a regular realtor. Yes, they get more
than just the MLS for the extra 3%, but with the exception of Foxton's,
which has a very small piece of the pie, that's how it's being done.

"NO! It is not; you completely misunderstand what's going on! What
they're going after are regulations that prevent outfits like Foxtons
from operating!In the Realtors' ideal world you will not be allowed
to pay anything less than the full commission (6% in most places).
"

Well, duh! I know perfectly well that the full service realtors are
using the MLS and every other tool they can get their hands on to keep
Foxton and similar outfits locked out of the market so the can continue
to get 6% That is precisely what I was referring to, when I said the
DOJ is trying to crack the lock. From your posts, I don't see what the
current problem would even be, as you claim just about everyone can
list a house on the MLS anywhere for a small flat fee. Yet, I've seen
quite a few posts here from people in various areas of the country
indicating, that like in NJ, that is not the case.

Bob Ward

On 11 Sep 2005 07:02:19 -0700, wrote:

"What you're talking and about and what I'm talking about are two
completely unrelated issues. "

Gee, no kidding? What do you think the original post about DOJ going
after realtors over the MLS database was about. The listings is the
only thing they have that anyone cares about. It's over the realtors
trade practices of controlling their MLS, which restricts free trade
and amounts to price fixing.

"What you're describing is the case everywhere in the US, but in most
places (including NJ, I believe) there are plenty of realtors who
would list your property for a small fixed fee in the MLS"

Show me one in NJ. No realtor here will do it for a small fixed fee.
Foxtons will do it for 3% And that is the lock that DOJ is trying to
crack.

One? How about eight HelpUSell franchisees?

Ricci Realty
Cherry Hill
the Orchards, 1998 East Route 70, Store 5
Cherry Hill , NJ 08003
856-424-2763

Harbinger Realty
Hamilton
3685A Nottingham Way
Hamilton , NJ 08690
(609) 587-8001

Shore Properties
Somers Point
805 Bay Ave
Somers Point , NJ 08244
(609) 601-7660

Maratea Realty
Cinnaminson
307 Rte 130 South
Cinnaminson , NJ 08077
(856) 829-2277

McGann Advantage
Hopewell
Straube Center, Suite K1 & 2
Pennington , NJ 08534
(609) 737-7777

Eastlands Realty
Voorhees
1011 Evesham Road, Suite A
Voorhees , NJ 08043
(856) 428-5655

Realty Experts
Gloucester Township
100 N. Black Horse Pike
Blackwood , NJ 08012
(856) 228-4558

Real Estate Solutions
Mt. Laurel
3201 Rout 38 Suite 103
Mt. Laurel , NJ 08054
856-235-5900

From their website:

Help-U-Sell is the Smartest Way to Sell Real Estate

*Commissions are negotiable and not set by law.
You Could Save Thousands!
by selling your home with Help-U-Sell instead of with brokers who
charge a 6% commission*. Use your savings to reduce the sales price to
speed up the selling process or to provide financing options to the
buyers.

Sound impossible?
It's not. If you are willing to spend a little time, we will help you
sell your home. What do we get out of it? A low set fee payable at
closing (only if the property sells - NO ADVANCED FEES). (Fee may vary
depending on the area of the country, marketing time, and other
variables.)

"One? How about eight HelpUSell franchisees? "

And where does it say anywhere that they get your property into the
MLS? Isn't that what this thread is about? On their website their is
no mention of MLS at all.
Instead from their website:

We guarantee in writing to advertise your property every week.

We use our exclusive marketing system to get you buyers.

We send an ad on your property to potential buyers now looking for
property.
We lend you "for Sale" and "Open House" signs.
We list your home on the Internet at helpusell.com.

Big deal, I'm still waiting for one place in NJ that gets you into the
MLS for one low flat fee.

"Look, you obviously never sold a house so you should learn a few
things before you post on this topic! "

I've sold more houses than you'll ever own. So now the story is, you
get can in the MLS through realtors like Foxtons, it's free, but then
you pay 3% when you sell your house. Big deal, like we don't already
know that? That's exactly what I told you 3 posts back:

"Show me one in NJ. No realtor here will do it for a small fixed fee.
Foxtons will do it for 3% "

Fine if you want to be technical about it, then it costs you 3% to USE
the MLS. And in NJ it's damn well gonna be the 3%, because none of the
realtors here that I've seen will take less than the 3%. In fact,
you're lucky if they even are interested in showing a house listed on
Foxtons, because they want to try to lock them out. Sounds like even
you understand that.

SMS

Andrew White wrote:

Once your house is in the MLS, your maximum exposure is going to be
3%. Of course, you can specify in your MLS listing that you will pay
2% or 1% or even 0% buyer's agent commission, but then no realtor will
show your house to their client!

2% buyer's agent commissions are quite common, and there are plenty of
agents that are quite happy with their 50% cut of the 1%. On a 1,000,000
house this is still $10,000. Some brokers forbid their agents from
showing houses that don't have the "full" commission, the legality of
which is questionable.