Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Andrew

Default Wet carpet in basement

We just had heavy rain today, and seems the rain pipe, or whatever it is
called leaked, so the basement carpet got wet, and to the extent in some
point where ringing it would yield a fair amount of water. My question is,
should we get rid of it ASAP? I searched and read that after 48 hours being
wet is when mold would start to grow. Any help and input would be greatly
appreciated!

FC

Andrew wrote:
We just had heavy rain today, and seems the rain pipe, or whatever it is
called leaked, so the basement carpet got wet, and to the extent in some
point where ringing it would yield a fair amount of water. My question is,
should we get rid of it ASAP? I searched and read that after 48 hours being
wet is when mold would start to grow. Any help and input would be greatly
appreciated!

I'd say contact you insurance company first then follow their
instruction. You may have you carpet replacement paid for by your
insurance co.

FC
No

Seems weird. If you spill something on your livingroom carpet do you run to
your computer and ask should I clean it up? Clean it up. Thats the first
thing to do. Then post in alt.home.repair questions about how to prevent it
in the future.

to clean it up you will need three things.
1) Shop vac
2) Fans
3) Dehumidifiers

Shop vac to get up as much water as possible
fans to help dry (big industrial fans for this purpose are available for
rent)
Run the dehumidifier

Fans and dehumidifier until dry

After they are dry you may need to have them steam cleaned, depending on how
dirty the water was.

"Andrew" wrote in message
. ..
We just had heavy rain today, and seems the rain pipe, or whatever it is
called leaked, so the basement carpet got wet, and to the extent in some
point where ringing it would yield a fair amount of water. My question is,
should we get rid of it ASAP? I searched and read that after 48 hours
being
wet is when mold would start to grow. Any help and input would be greatly
appreciated!

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Andrew wrote:
We just had heavy rain today, and seems the rain pipe, or whatever it is
called leaked, so the basement carpet got wet, and to the extent in some
point where ringing it would yield a fair amount of water. My question is,
should we get rid of it ASAP? I searched and read that after 48 hours being
wet is when mold would start to grow. Any help and input would be greatly
appreciated!

try insurance but its unlikely they will give a flip.

You nose is a pretty good mold detector.

I would rent a carpet cleaner for a few bucks and clean/dry the carpet.
Also should consider fixing the problem.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Andrew

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
Andrew wrote:
We just had heavy rain today, and seems the rain pipe, or whatever it is
called leaked, so the basement carpet got wet, and to the extent in some
point where ringing it would yield a fair amount of water. My question

is,
should we get rid of it ASAP? I searched and read that after 48 hours

being
wet is when mold would start to grow. Any help and input would be

greatly
appreciated!

try insurance but its unlikely they will give a flip.

You nose is a pretty good mold detector.

I would rent a carpet cleaner for a few bucks and clean/dry the carpet.
Also should consider fixing the problem.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

We don't have a dehumidifier, but I put a fan, and the carpet was old and
should have been garbage bound anyway. One final question, their was a tv
stand, the one where one assembles themselves, wood, but cheap quality,
would it be best to take it up to dry, or will the fan suffice? I know,
asking loads of useless questions, maybe in the future some weirdo like me
will use some of this info, or not! Oh, and I do go to the web for every
carpet spill accident, although I walk, don't run, and I go to
alt.home.carpetlovers! Thanx..!

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Andrew wrote:

[...]

if its a cheap TV stand its probably on its way to the trash. The wood
will expand when it gets wet and cause the laminate to warp off. Id be
surprised if you can keep it. If its hard wood you should be ok. In
any event yes its best to dry it as fast as possible.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Andrew

Andrew wrote:

[...]

Thanks. That is what I thought, so I moved it. It is hollow underneath, so
seems to be in okay shape, it wasn't very expensive, but the wood seems to
have repelled much. Plus had I not moved it, it could have stayed wet
underneath for a while. And I think it was just thanks to heavy rain we
received, I'll check for sure on the next rainfall. I can only imagine
people whose basements are flooded for real, losing everything!