Top Spin

Default Best carpet for basement pool room?

I would appreciate recommendations for what type of carpet to install
in a basement where a pool table is going to go. The main purpose is
to give it a warmer feel and to give the pool balls a softer place to
land.

It's not bare walls, but it is not "finished" by any means. There's a
space under the stairs and the water heater and furnace are pretty
much in the open. (Not in a separate room or even a closet.)

Here's my thinking. Any comments?

Some kind of indoor/outdoor carpet. Not too think.

Probably not wall to wall. Maybe buy a large piece and then cut it to
fit.

Do I need a pad? I want to keep it as waterproof as possible.

What do I do about the edges? Tape? Glue? Nothing? It will have a pool
table sitting in the middle of it so it's not going to move around,
but I don't want edges that can be tripped over.

Any recommendations as far as material or brand?

Any other caveats?

Thanks

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Kyle Boatright

First question: Do you have any moisture problems? If so, conventional
carpet will be a problem, even moreso if you put a 500 lb pool table on top
of it and can't get it out when it mildews.

Beyond that consideration, I'd choose a low pile loop carpet. Something
like you'd see in a business or in the concourse of an airport. Your local
carpet dealer can probably point you towards an appropriate product, and
will be able to get the edges bound for you, which will give you a great big
throw rug.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)

Top Spin

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:10:03 GMT, 3rd eye
wrote:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:23:26 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

First question: Do you have any moisture problems? If so, conventional
carpet will be a problem, even moreso if you put a 500 lb pool table on top
of it and can't get it out when it mildews.

Beyond that consideration, I'd choose a low pile loop carpet. Something
like you'd see in a business or in the concourse of an airport.

Along this line, carpet squares would be my choice. Easy to lay, easy
to replace & durable too.

Are you talking about the individual squares (about 2'x2' or so) that
are glued in place?

Are these better than a large piece?

Are the seams secure?

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Kyle Boatright

Carpet tile is another decent choice. It is much more moisture resistant,
can either be glued down or held in place by a grid of double sided carpet
tape (go this route - you'll never get all of the glue off of your floor).
The downside is that you can't get it bound, and will never have a nice
clean (i.e. attractive) edge unless you run it all the way to the walls.
Another downside is that your styling choices are much more limited.

By the way, I work in (and did a major portion of the design work on) the
world's largest carpet tile manufacturing facility.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)