Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default How to reset outdoor light timer

I have a light above my garage door that is supposed to be on a
dusk-to-dawn timer. When we bought the house (the garage was completely
new when we bought it), the timer worked. But now it is on more of a
dawn-to-dusk cycle rather than dusk-to-dawn. The cycle seems to made
this change gradually. I cannot, however, find a control for the timer,
or even a photocell somewhere. The light is simply mounted above the
garage door with a wire that runs along the garage wall to the rest of
the wires for the garage.

My bet is that it does have a photocell but that the cell or eye is not
readily distinguishable. Maybe on top ?

On 1 May 2005 13:29:50 -0700, someone wrote:

My bet is that it does have a photocell but that the cell or eye is not
readily distinguishable.

Then why does it go on in the daytime, and off at night? A blocked or
defective photocell would be on all the time, or off, or flaky, and
that's not what they are reporting.

Where exactly have they looked? The control does not have to be
anywhere near the light itself. Next to the breaker panel is a
polular place.

Mike Lewis

"v" wrote in message
On 1 May 2005 13:29:50 -0700, someone wrote:

My bet is that it does have a photocell but that the cell or eye is not
readily distinguishable.

Then why does it go on in the daytime, and off at night? A blocked or
defective photocell would be on all the time, or off, or flaky, and
that's not what they are reporting.

Where exactly have they looked? The control does not have to be
anywhere near the light itself. Next to the breaker panel is a
polular place.

A photocell next to the breaker???? I would think that the
photocell is in the vacinity of the light and most likely directly
attached to it.

doubter

On Wed, 4 May 2005 09:51:36 -0400, "Mike Lewis"
wrote:

A photocell next to the breaker???? I would think that the
photocell is in the vacinity of the light and most likely directly
attached to it.

Where did he say photocell? The OP stated the interval has shifted so much
the light is on during the day and off at night. Doesn't sound like a
photocell does it?

Mike Lewis

sorry dude .. someone mentioned a photocell .. and someone said they
went looking for it and couldn't find .. and then I thought someone
said to look by the breaker box ...

we're gonna have to go to video tape to sort this out!

On Wed, 4 May 2005 09:51:36 -0400, someone wrote:

A photocell next to the breaker???? I would think that the
photocell is in the vacinity of the light and most likely directly
attached to it.

No, I am saying it may NOT be a photocell, that is why it is on in the
day and off at night. Probably a timer which could be anywhere but is
often near the breakers.

OP said it was a timer, and then a reply claimed it was a photcell.

On Wed, 4 May 2005 12:07:30 -0400, someone wrote:

sorry dude .. someone mentioned a photocell .. and someone said they
went looking for it and couldn't find ..

You are forgiven, though you still failed reading comprehension on
this one!

OP said the interval had shifted so that it was on in the day, and off
at night, but he couldn't find the timer anywhere near the light.

A Responder then suggested it was a dirty photcell on top of the
light.

*I* was the one who DOUBTED it was a photcell, and suggested that OP
(instead) look bear the breaker box for the timer, because a timer
doesn't need to be near the light.

So anyway, did they find it yet?