Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default fire door

I recently purchased a house that has a converted garage.. the garage is now
living space but it still has a fire door between it and the rest of the house.
The springs cause the door to fly shut and I'm worried that my toddler could get
hurt by this door.

Is there a way to make the springs in the hinges less springy or am I going to
have to replace the hinges? I want to keep a door there since that area of the
house does not have as much insulation as the rest of the house and I want to
shut that room off in the evenings.
Don Phillipson

wrote in message

I recently purchased a house that has a converted garage.. the garage is

now
living space but it still has a fire door between it and the rest of the

house.
The springs cause the door to fly shut and I'm worried that my toddler

could get
hurt by this door.

Is there a way to make the springs in the hinges less springy or am I

going to
have to replace the hinges? I want to keep a door there since that area

of the
house does not have as much insulation as the rest of the house and I want

shut that room off in the evenings.

If you are lucky and three hinges hold the door
you can unscrew the middle one and take it to
a hardware store for advice (hoping to find an
unsprung hinge about the same size, or even
using the same screw holes.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:10:22 -0400, in misc.consumers.house "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Yes there are three hinges.. thanks for the advice.. maybe I can do this without
taking the door down and trying to rehang it then.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:49:46 -0700, someone wrote:

Yes there are three hinges.. thanks for the advice.. maybe I can do this without
taking the door down and trying to rehang it then.

If the spring hinges are the type that have the cylinder with a turret
like ring with holes in it, the tension is adjustable. (If not,
ignore this post.)

But how hard can it be to not let the door slam on the kid? The door
can't slam unless somebody opens it in the first place, and they can
look around for the kid before letting go.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:26:24 -0700, someone wrote:

perhaps it take an allen wrench? I'll check it out when my spouse gets home
with the tools..

No, it doesn't need an allen head, because (if I remember correctly)
you don't unscrew anything once you stick it in the hole. I think you
just stick something in there (which could be a small allen) and
rotate the ring with it. We have some of these on our business
premises.