On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:10:22 -0400, in misc.consumers.house "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

I recently purchased a house that has a converted garage.. the garage is

now
living space but it still has a fire door between it and the rest of the

house.
The springs cause the door to fly shut and I'm worried that my toddler

could get
hurt by this door.

Is there a way to make the springs in the hinges less springy or am I

going to
have to replace the hinges? I want to keep a door there since that area

of the
house does not have as much insulation as the rest of the house and I want

shut that room off in the evenings.

If you are lucky and three hinges hold the door
you can unscrew the middle one and take it to
a hardware store for advice (hoping to find an
unsprung hinge about the same size, or even
using the same screw holes.)

Yes there are three hinges.. thanks for the advice.. maybe I can do this without
taking the door down and trying to rehang it then.