Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Repairing large hole in wall

Hi,

I recently removed a very large air conditioner from my bedroom wall
and was left with a gaping hole in my house. I have already repaired
the outside successfully but I am having trouble on the inside. I added
the insulation needed and cut my sheetrock to size but found that once
in place there were several areas where my patch piece is sticking out
almost a sixteenth of an inch farther out than the original wall. Any
suggestions on how to bring the patch to the same level as the wall?
Thanks

Here is a pic:

http://www.patmedia.net/marklevinson/hole_wall.htm

DAC

Any suggestions on how to bring the patch to the same level as the
wall?

Use 3/8 inch DW shimmed out flush with something like the red builders
paper, tar paper etc stapled to the wood framing. Fasten and finish as
normal.

Best of luck!

Darwin

The patch is thicker than the original wall, right ? If you feather out
the drywall compound probably won't be noticeable. I'd try nailing it
up, tape it, then put on a good wide swath of compound and feather it
out. It will take some fussing around.

Drywall guys can cover up almost anything.

On 21 Apr 2005 07:53:14 -0700, someone wrote:

.... there were several areas where my patch piece is sticking out
almost a sixteenth of an inch farther out than the original wall.

Jeez, not even a whole 16th.... just feather it out with the compound.
There are drywalling "knives" (trowels) in common use that are about a
foot long, used for this type of thing. That aint nothin' You cannot
just pop a patch in and have it be perfectly smooth and flush. That
is what finishing drywall is all about.

Hole in my basement wall smyk Home Ownership 7 April 16th 05 04:50 AM
Hole in my basement wall smyk Home Repair 7 April 16th 05 04:50 AM
insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 08:33 PM
making hole in wall of brick house j j Home Repair 3 November 12th 03 03:09 AM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM