Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dannyboys

Default Behr Solid Stain Problems - really po'd

Hi all -

Last summer I powerwashed a 10 year old basically stainfree deck and applied
a solid Behr stain. It looked great but this spring I noticed that it is
peeling up on the deck surfaces like wildfire. I emailed Behr and even sent
a photograph. Sadly, they could just provide the canned responses of
application tips and not much more. I have used their paints for a long
time and really like them. I'm just so disappointed with the stain and
their lack of interest in resolving a customer complaint. I mean what more
can a customer want? Just get me a coupon or something for a new $30 gal of
stain. Because - hello - that is what I am going to have to do is apply the
same color stain every spring I guess. I can't stand incompetent customer
service departments. Its like they just try to wear you down until you go
away. Am I being unreasonable here? I don't think so but I've been wrong
before!

pete

i am a house painter for over 30 years.
i purchased behr products once and only once. All behr products are
defective and inferior. the paints don't cover. A good paint is thick,
the stick stands up in the can. behr paints are like water. i've heard
their best semi - gloss and high gloss peel like a rubber coating.
their deck stains are also know to peel. do yourself a favor stick with
brand names like benj moore products. you will never have a problem.
stick with thompsons deck stain you will never have a problem. As for
your specific problem i think you must strip or sand off the stain
depending on the square footage. then re-stain. if you need specific
advice e-mail me directly. need to know what type of wood and square
footage deck and type of railings.