Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Billy

Default Fiberglass Door Stain

I want to stain a fiberglass door but having difficulty selecting the best
make and type of stain. I've been given some very conflicting advice (read
on).....

I've found an oil-based Minwax Gel Stain in a honey maple shade that we
like. However, I've been told by some that MinWax is horrible stain, and
that water based is a better option over oil, even though the MinWax Oil Gel
Stain (which I understand the gel is preferred for fiberglass) does not come
in water-based.

The same person that told me the above said to get the stain kit from any
fiberglass door manufacturer instead of buying it from them. They are a Benj
Moore dealer. So I went and bought an oak stain kit sold by Therma-True (but
the fg door is not TT), and found that it is water based, and not a gel.

I thought about the shade that I'm applying too. Since the fibergalss
appears to simulate Oak - is a light maple shade the sensible shade to apply
to get a nice effect of a wood door, or should I restrict the shade to only
oak?

I'm really confused about the water based vs oil and the shade of stain to
use. Remember, I'm staining a FG door, not wood, but it does have solid oak
wood jambs that will also be stained during the same application. Finally, I
don't know if the gel stain is superior either.

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 00:49:58 -0500, someone wrote:

However, I've been told by some that MinWax is horrible stain,

A new definition on the term "horrible stain"!!!

Who are these people and wha do they say is wrong with it?

Not that I stain very often, but I never had any problems with MinWax.

Jim Croyle

(v) wrote in message ...
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 00:49:58 -0500, someone wrote:

However, I've been told by some that MinWax is horrible stain,

A new definition on the term "horrible stain"!!!

Who are these people and wha do they say is wrong with it?

Not that I stain very often, but I never had any problems with MinWax.

I recently built a house and we had white Masonite doors that I put a
faux wood finish on. I imagine it would work for your door too.

Step 1) Paint the door with a latex eggshell finish paint that matches
the lightest color of the woodwork you are trying to match. Let it dry
a day.

Step 2) I used a wiping stain (it is thick like paint) that was
similar in color to the darker parts of our woodwork (we used poplar).
I tried several different application methods, Wiped it on (took
forever,was messy). Brushed on (best application but left alot of
stain on the door) Brushed on then wiped it down a little. This left
me with less stain on the door (so the background color came through).
This was the best method.

Step 3) let it dry for 5-10 minutes, then dry brush the door to blend
the stain so that the color is fairly even. Then with a smaller brush
I took the same wiping stain and drew grain lines and knots (those are
already on the type of door I had, I just followed the patterns) Then
use your dry brush to blend in the grain so that it is more subtle.

Step 4) Stand back and say "Damn that looks like wood".

Step 5) let it dry completely it might take a day or two, then apply a
water based poly in the finish you prefer.

Hope that helped.

JimC.
Al Bundy

"Billy" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have used the MinWax gel stain on FG doors with attached oak lights.
It does a fine job. If you've tried to stain fiberglass before you
know how important that gel stain is to the job. You have to get the
knack of working the gell and recoating it right away so it matches
the wood that is also being stained. The work goes quickly and looks
great.
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
[...]

Hi, I work in a millwork dept. Every door manufacture requires you to follow certin procedures. The best advice is this contact the door manufacture and follow their requierments that way if some thing should wrong, they are resp. with in reason. as far as the water base goes i would not go near the door with it. the jambs on the other hand is differant find a pieace of oak that matches the jamb and use it as a test. Most manufactures recomend you use a jell stain becase it will not run on a surface that will not soak up the stain.

Happy staining