Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

KOS

Default Stanley Electric Garage Opener Question- please advise

Hi, I have a Stanley Electric Garage Openener- Professional Series-
approximately 10 years old or more. The system has been working
flawlessly- however now I am not able to use the remotes and when I
press the wall mounted button the garage opens- but when I press to
close the light flashes and the door goes back up. THe only way to
close it is by holding the wall mounted button and pressing until door
closes. I read somewhere that this could be due to the safety sensor
system with the light beams- if this malfunctions the door wont operate
properly.

I have noticed that the lights on the 2 sensors near the ground are
out. I have tried moving the sensors to see if they are out of
alingnment- still no lights at all. I have another electric garage door
next door- here the lights are always on the sensor- do you think the
fact that the lights are out on the sensor that this is the culprit?
Anyway to test this out? If I check the wiring and see the wire from
the sensor is damaged, how do I replace? Must I replace the entire wire
or can I just do that certain area with a piece of electrical tape?
Also, what type of wire is used from the sensor to the opener? (so I'll
know which to buy) Any help is greatly appreciated.
KOS