Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Appliance Garage and Receptacle

I am remodeling my kitchen and have come across a dilemna that probably
can be easily solved with some expert advise.

An "appliance garage" is an enclosed area on the counter surface where
an appliance can be stored and hidden from view when not in use. If a
receptacle is installed inside an "appliance garage" it cannot count as
a kitchen counter surface outlet required for dwelling units.

Each side of the "appliance garage" is 24 inches (see diagram). If a
receptacle must be located 24 inches from the corner, or 48 inches from
the next receptacle, then how can one meet code with such a cabinet
that is exactly 24 inches. If I moved 2 inches either eay, it would
not be code. These are standard Lowes/Home Depot cabinets and only
available in this size.

Any advise on how to resolve such a dilemna?

Thank you in advance.

-24-

-24- |

This will not answer your question but personally, I would avoid the
whole issue and buy a nice antique or reproduction cabinet to house
appliances and other odds and ends, for the kitchen. For example:

http://www.adirondackcraft.com/XPH/n...roductInfo.htm