Electronics (alt.electronics)

Peter Michelson wrote:

First question: can I use more than one stage of the
LED sequencer to prolong the duration of an LED being on?
For example, if I want the first LED to stay on twice as
long as the 2nd and 3rd LEDs, is it sufficient to connect
the first two outputs to the first LED, and then only one
output to each of the other two? In other words, is it a
problem to connect two outputs together without using diodes?

Yes, it is a problem, you need diodes. See my traffic light
circuit for an example:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...tm#traffic.gif

-Bill

Peter Michelson

wrote in message
ups.com...

Peter Michelson wrote:

First question: can I use more than one stage of the
LED sequencer to prolong the duration of an LED being on?
For example, if I want the first LED to stay on twice as
long as the 2nd and 3rd LEDs, is it sufficient to connect
the first two outputs to the first LED, and then only one
output to each of the other two? In other words, is it a
problem to connect two outputs together without using diodes?

Yes, it is a problem, you need diodes. See my traffic light
circuit for an example:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...tm#traffic.gif

-Bill

Perfect - thank you. Also, that seems like an elegant/parsimonious circuit
design.

Incidentally, what software do you use for rendering your circuits designs
as they appear on the links you have provided?

Thanks again,
Peter

Incidentally, what software do you use for rendering your
circuits designs as they appear on the links you have
provided?

The software is an old DOS program called "Colorix VGA Paint" 1989.

It's similar to Windows "Paint" with more features.
It's easy to copy and paste, and move things around.
Windows "Paint" can do the same thing, but has limited
editing features.

-Bill

Peter Michelson

wrote in message
ups.com...
Incidentally, what software do you use for rendering your
circuits designs as they appear on the links you have
provided?

The software is an old DOS program called "Colorix VGA Paint" 1989.

It's similar to Windows "Paint" with more features.
It's easy to copy and paste, and move things around.
Windows "Paint" can do the same thing, but has limited
editing features.

-Bill

Impressive. Because of the high quality, I didn't realize that you drew
them manually. I thought they were created by an electronics CAD program.

Does Colorix VGA Paint run in a DOS window on a pentium class machine?

Regards,
Peter

Does Colorix VGA Paint run in a DOS window on
a pentium class machine?

Yes, it runs in a DOS window on Win 95,98,2000 and
Xp. But I forgot to mention the Colorix program produces .GIF files
directly while Windows Paint only produces .BMP files which need
conversion. There are utilities to convert formats, but it's nice to
get the finished drawing in the right format without conversion
problems.

The first few drawings took some time, but as the library grew, I can
usually find a drawing close to what I need, start with that, and just
move things around to create a new drawing.

-Bill

Michael A. Terrell

Robert Monsen wrote:

FYI, Paint under XP can save files as GIF, TIFF, JPG, and PNG, as well
as various levels of bitmap. You need to change the popup menu on the
saveas dialog to indicate the proper format.

--
Regards,
Robert Monsen

It works the same for ME as well.

--
Beware of those who post from srvinet.com!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida