Does Colorix VGA Paint run in a DOS window on
a pentium class machine?

Yes, it runs in a DOS window on Win 95,98,2000 and
Xp. But I forgot to mention the Colorix program produces .GIF files
directly while Windows Paint only produces .BMP files which need
conversion. There are utilities to convert formats, but it's nice to
get the finished drawing in the right format without conversion
problems.

The first few drawings took some time, but as the library grew, I can
usually find a drawing close to what I need, start with that, and just
move things around to create a new drawing.

-Bill