Electronics (alt.electronics)

~~ VerilogMan ~~

Default Microcontroller ... which one ??

"Alex Gibson" wrote in message

"~~ VerilogMan ~~" wrote in message
Hello,
I am thinking of buiying this graphic display.
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products...X12864CP1WGHTS
It has a 4 analog I/O for the touch screen, and 18 I/O (the
specidications are on the link "Data Sheet")
I have a VERY hard time trying to figure the best microcontroller to
interface it with a desktop computer on the serial port.
If you could take a look at http://dkc1.digikey.com/CA/PDF/C043/P4.html
(Microcontrollers section) and tell me wich one is the easiest / most
efficient, i would appreciate big time !
Thanks guys!

If you know verilog, why not use verilog and a cpld ?

http://www.fpga4fun.com/TextLCDmodule.html
http://www.fpga4fun.com/GraphicLCDpanel.html

My nick is not revelant in fact
It's too hard with Verilog for the RS232 interfacing and all that ,... I
really have no clue how to do it !!

~~ VerilogMan ~~

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
After playing around with one (admittedly on NEC's evaluation
kit which I then subsumed into a project for a client) I'd
strongly recommend the 32 bit RISC from NEC, the
V850ES series.

Unlike the ARM design which only has 16 GP registers,
the 850 has 32. From what I can make out, it seems to
be strongly relate to the previous MIPS range of
super-computers.

"~~ VerilogMan ~~" wrote in message
I have a VERY hard time trying to figure the best microcontroller to
interface it with a desktop computer on the serial port.
If you could take a look at http://dkc1.digikey.com/CA/PDF/C043/P4.html
(Microcontrollers section) and tell me wich one is the easiest / most

Thanks, but I don't really know RISC ... : |

~~ VerilogMan ~~

"Nico Coesel" wrote in message
"~~ VerilogMan ~~" wrote:

Hello,
I am thinking of buiying this graphic display.
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products...X12864CP1WGHTS
It has a 4 analog I/O for the touch screen, and 18 I/O (the specidications
are on the link "Data Sheet")
I have a VERY hard time trying to figure the best microcontroller to
interface it with a desktop computer on the serial port.
If you could take a look at http://dkc1.digikey.com/CA/PDF/C043/P4.html
(Microcontrollers section) and tell me wich one is the easiest / most
efficient, i would appreciate big time !
Thanks guys!

If you want to program it in C, be sure to pick one with 8, 16 or 32
bit registers and a single adress space (like the Hitachi H8 or the
Texas instruments MSP430 series) otherwise you will find yourself
writing all kinds of (non portable) functions which are already in the
standard C library.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Hey,
What about the ATMega128 ?
Can I use the existing librairies ? I want to write the less code possible.
The problem is that I instead of doing a project proposed by the school...
wanted to do something of my own ... but I think I aimed a bit too high !!
I thought it would have been easier to hook a graphic display to a
computer !
So I want the easiest way possible !

~~ VerilogMan ~~

"Alex Gibson" wrote in message

"~~ VerilogMan ~~" wrote in message
Hello,
I am thinking of buiying this graphic display.
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products...X12864CP1WGHTS
It has a 4 analog I/O for the touch screen, and 18 I/O (the
specidications are on the link "Data Sheet")
I have a VERY hard time trying to figure the best microcontroller to
interface it with a desktop computer on the serial port.
If you could take a look at http://dkc1.digikey.com/CA/PDF/C043/P4.html
(Microcontrollers section) and tell me wich one is the easiest / most
efficient, i would appreciate big time !
Thanks guys!

Just make sure what ever you choose has enough IO.

Your going to need 24 IO at minimum + other functions you may want
like serial(rs232) connection so - 22 for the screen , 2 for usart tx and
rx
assuming you want to use the touchscreen ?
+ maybe a temp sensor ? (is this for a fan controller/pc monitor ?)

Ok, the touchscreen is like an input for the RS232 port. And it is a 4 wire
system. And there are 18 other inputs... So for sure , there are 22 , + more
? yes i want to use RS232 too.

also what are you going to display / run on the screen ?
Will it need updating often ?

The computer will send through the RS232 port the display. It won't change
often at all.
This is what I want to do :
The display is divided for example in 4 sections. In each row there is like
a text. For example :
First row: "Hello This is..."
Next row "I love electronics" ,
Next row "I love you"
Next row "I love hockey"

and one last row with and arrow.

What I want to do :
When I am typing something for example, in wordpad, and when I hit with my
finger the first row, the whole text "Hello This is.." get copied ...
Or if I do "I love electronics" the whole text get copied ...
AND when I hit the arrow, it will go to another set of quotes.

Now i thought this was gonna be easy ... But no
So as you see it does not a lot of updating at all .. just when you hit the
next row I guess.

pic , avr, msp430, arm7(philips , sharp etc) , 8051, scenix
or even basic stamp

Either pick one you have some knowledge of
or one that has the cheapest and easiest to use tools

That is exactly why I asked the question on the forum ,is to try to figure
out which one would be the easiest ! : /
I don't know any of these controllers. I want the one doing the best the job
and the easiest for me. I know we can use C , or ASM , ....
I know programming, (C, ASM ...) . I think C is the way to go ? For the
librairies and all that ?

Also what package do you want to work with ?
dip or surface mount ?

Now I never heard of this terminilogy ? Does that mean that the controller
comes without anything, or with a borad or something ?

What language are you looking to us ?
asm , c , basic , forth , pascal ?

I would avoid asm, but c, basic, forth, pascal are pretty much alike ... I
guess C has the most suport ?

pic has free forth , pascal(jal) and c compilers(limited versions of
commerical product)
asm is free

avr has free forth c and basic compilers(bascom avr lite - limited
version)
asm is free

same with msp430 , 8051 and arm7(made by a varitety of manufacturers).

Depending on your requirements
maybe a atmega16, or 32 or 162
or pic16f877/877A
pic18f452 , 448 , 442 , 458

some cheap boards here www.futurlec.com
http://www.futurlec.com/BasicControllers.shtml
http://www.futurlec.com/DevelopmentBoards.shtml
http://www.futurlec.com/TrainingBoards.shtml

even Philips lpc2106 or lpc2129
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/LPC2106.html
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/LPC2129.html

For pics
www.piclist.com
www.winpicprog.co.uk

Avr
www.avrfreaks.com
http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/cou...FinalProjects/

Someone already adised me to use AtMega 128 ... do you think it's good
depending of everything I said above ?
Thank you a lot for your help