Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

Default How does the Skylake fix work?

Just out of interest, how does a hardware bug in a CPU get fixed by a software BIOS update? Isn't the bug a physical misconnection in the circuits?

--
I go fishing; I catch nothing. I go to orgies; I catch everything.
Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:03:30 -0000 "Mr Macaw" wrote in
Message id: :

Just out of interest, how does a hardware bug in a CPU get fixed by a software BIOS update? Isn't the bug a physical misconnection in the circuits?

Microcode updates.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode
Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:01:40 -0000, Trent .****of wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:03:30 -0000 "Mr Macaw" wrote in
Message id: :

Just out of interest, how does a hardware bug in a CPU get fixed by a software BIOS update? Isn't the bug a physical misconnection in the circuits?

Microcode updates.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode

So the bug was in the firmware of the CPU, not the physical circuitry?

I've never heard of or done a CPU firmware update. Are they included with motherboard BIOS updates?

--
A blonde is walking down a creek. While she's looking around she notices Judi walking along the other side of the creek. She yells to the other blonde. "Hey, how do I get to the other side?"
Judi replies, "You are on the other side!"
Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics,uk.rec.driving

wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:03:30 -0000 "Mr Macaw" wrote in
Message id: :

Just out of interest, how does a hardware bug in a CPU get fixed by
a software BIOS update? Isn't the bug a physical misconnection in
the circuits?

Microcode updates.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode

So the bug was in the firmware of the CPU, not the physical circuitry?

I've never heard of or done a CPU firmware update. Are they included
with motherboard BIOS updates?

Just add it to the long list of other things that you have never heard of,
PHucker.
Such as getting a job, meeting a woman.
You are A ******.

Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:05:47 -0000 "Mr Macaw" wrote in
Message id: :

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:01:40 -0000, Trent .****of wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:03:30 -0000 "Mr Macaw" wrote in
Message id: :

Just out of interest, how does a hardware bug in a CPU get fixed by a software BIOS update? Isn't the bug a physical misconnection in the circuits?

Microcode updates.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode

So the bug was in the firmware of the CPU, not the physical circuitry?

I've never heard of or done a CPU firmware update. Are they included with motherboard BIOS updates?

Yes, the manufacturer of the MB releases a BIOS update to correct the
issue. For this particular errata, Intel has given the MB manufacturers
the information needed to do this.

Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 11:37:56 -0000, Trent .****of wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:05:47 -0000 "Mr Macaw" wrote in
Message id: :

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:01:40 -0000, Trent .****of wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:03:30 -0000 "Mr Macaw" wrote in
Message id: :

Just out of interest, how does a hardware bug in a CPU get fixed by a software BIOS update? Isn't the bug a physical misconnection in the circuits?

Microcode updates.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode

So the bug was in the firmware of the CPU, not the physical circuitry?

I've never heard of or done a CPU firmware update. Are they included with motherboard BIOS updates?

Yes, the manufacturer of the MB releases a BIOS update to correct the
issue. For this particular errata, Intel has given the MB manufacturers
the information needed to do this.

I've read in MB BIOS update instructions that it fixes X to do with the CPU, but I always assumed that was a motherboard fault where it didn't work with new types of CPU etc.

--
An optimist thinks this is the best possible world.
A pessimist fears this is true.
Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics,uk.rec.driving

wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:03:30 -0000 "Mr Macaw" wrote in
Message id: :

Just out of interest, how does a hardware bug in a CPU get fixed by
a software BIOS update? Isn't the bug a physical misconnection in
the circuits?

Microcode updates.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode

So the bug was in the firmware of the CPU, not the physical circuitry?

I've never heard of or done a CPU firmware update. Are they included
with motherboard BIOS updates?

Just add it to the long list of other things that you have never heard of,
PHucker.
Such as getting a job, meeting a woman.
You are A ******.

It's probably a cock-a-roach, knowing how you live like a porcine swine!
Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics,uk.rec.driving

wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:03:30 -0000 "Mr Macaw" wrote in
Message id: :

Just out of interest, how does a hardware bug in a CPU get fixed by
a software BIOS update? Isn't the bug a physical misconnection in
the circuits?

Microcode updates.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode

So the bug was in the firmware of the CPU, not the physical circuitry?

I've never heard of or done a CPU firmware update. Are they included
with motherboard BIOS updates?

Just add it to the long list of other things that you have never heard of,
PHucker.
Such as getting a job, meeting a woman.
You are A ******.

He was never quite the same after being abducted by zombies.

Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics,uk.rec.driving

wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 12:03:30 -0000 "Mr Macaw" wrote in
Message id: :

Just out of interest, how does a hardware bug in a CPU get fixed by
a software BIOS update? Isn't the bug a physical misconnection in
the circuits?

Microcode updates.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode

So the bug was in the firmware of the CPU, not the physical circuitry?

I've never heard of or done a CPU firmware update. Are they included
with motherboard BIOS updates?

Just add it to the long list of other things that you have never heard of,
PHucker.
Such as getting a job, meeting a woman.
You are A ******.

He was never quite the same after being abducted by zombies.

Says the guy with "gang probing" in his email address.

--
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics,uk.rec.driving

Default "Dumb Guy", The Rectum's Old Whore! LOL

"The Peeler" wrote in message
web.com...
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 21:33:12 -0000, Dumb Guy wrote:

Just add it to the long list of other things that you have never heard
of,
PHucker.
Such as getting a job, meeting a woman.
You are A ******.

He was never quite the same after being abducted by zombies.

Says the guy with "gang probing" in his email address.

People just don't seem to like you, eh, Phucker? But you don't mind!
Another
sign of you being a true sociopath! BG

The zombie that ate his brain died of malnutrition.

Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

[...]

Is that another one you broke on purpose?

Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 21:55:50 -0000, Ian Field wrote:

[...]

I don't have a Skylake. My i5 3570K is working fine. Skylake is only a third faster, no point in upgrading.

--
Please keep your hands off the secretary's reproducing equipment.
Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 21:55:50 -0000, Ian Field
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

So its just advance planning how to break it when you do get one.

Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I was just interested how a hardware fault could be fixed by software. See if I burst my car tyre, can I just upload a fix to my car's on board computer?

--
A man goes home early and catches another man in bed with his wife.
He drags the naked man out of the house and into his garden shed.

Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 18:33:31 -0000, Ian Field
wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

You just download a certain episode of Futurama and it turns into a
hovercar.

Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 21:30:16 -0000, Ian Field wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 18:33:31 -0000, Ian Field
wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message
news On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 21:55:50 -0000, Ian Field

wrote:

[...]

Hovervans are more versatile.

--
One workman asks another, "How long have you been working here?"
The other one replies, "Since they threatened to fire me."
Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

I go fishing; I catch nothing. I go to orgies; I catch everything.

Does the ridge of your helmet look like something's been nibbling at it?
Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.electronics

https://youtu.be/S6AyWh5j8AQ

--
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.