Electronics (alt.electronics)

Charles Pisano

Default Tv remote

The remote control on my tv set does not work. I have eliminated the
obvious (poor batteries and defective remote) . It is the eye on the set
that is not functioning properly. Is there a common reason these to
malfunction?

At first it would work intermittently making me think -batteries. Now
it will only work if you put the remote an inch or less from the
eye.???

Also it started after I added a vcr/dvd player to the rack below the tv.
But I have doubted that could in anyway be involved.
And I have tried it while the player was unplugged.

CP

Art

Generically I'd say probably an IRP Failure, or MPU, or interconnect, or
even a bias problem. Generically again In my minds eye I can't fathom the
make or model of the device you are in reference to. Check your tele and
please repost with the make and model of the set and obvious diagnostics you
have completed, other than just checking the batteries. Adding another
component in close proximity should not affect the tele's remote function
unless the additional item is putting out an excessive amount of Infrared
Radiation that is interfering, which is highly doubtful. Is it possible the
other item is physically blocking the front of your tele so it can't "see"
the IR from your remote??
"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
The remote control on my tv set does not work. I have eliminated the
obvious (poor batteries and defective remote) . It is the eye on the set
that is not functioning properly. Is there a common reason these to
malfunction?

At first it would work intermittently making me think -batteries. Now
it will only work if you put the remote an inch or less from the
eye.???

Also it started after I added a vcr/dvd player to the rack below the tv.
But I have doubted that could in anyway be involved.
And I have tried it while the player was unplugged.

CP

Charles Pisano

It's a Phillips Magnavox 19" television ( I don't see a model no.) set.
No, the obvious has been eliminated. I have a webtv plus wireless
(IR) keyboard that is programmed to operate this television and the
webtv plus remote that is programmed as well. They both still work for
the webtv but all 3 remotes (tv remote, webtv remote and keyboard) don't
work on the tv anymore.

The webtv plus is sitting right next to the tv and the remotes work on
it still. So , that eliminates the line of sight and the reomte being
the problem. The funny thing is I've never seen this problem in anything
I've ever owned and this set is only about 5 years old.

Charles

Art

Probable the pickup device within the tele, or associated circuity inclusive
of the mpu, etc. Best to have a tech take a look at it for you. May be a
simple R/R of the pickup or involve time consuming diagnostics.
"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
It's a Phillips Magnavox 19" television ( I don't see a model no.) set.
No, the obvious has been eliminated. I have a webtv plus wireless
(IR) keyboard that is programmed to operate this television and the
webtv plus remote that is programmed as well. They both still work for
the webtv but all 3 remotes (tv remote, webtv remote and keyboard) don't
work on the tv anymore.

The webtv plus is sitting right next to the tv and the remotes work on
it still. So , that eliminates the line of sight and the reomte being
the problem. The funny thing is I've never seen this problem in anything
I've ever owned and this set is only about 5 years old.

Charles

MIKE

I had the same problem with a Radio Shack VCR. I tried to get a
replacement for the IR sensor but the part was not available. I ended
up giving the VCR away to someone who only wanted to use it to play
tapes and bought a new one for my own use.

-MIKE