Electronics (alt.electronics)

Padu

Default Wireless telemetry

Hi,

I don't know if this is the appropriate newsgroup to ask this, I would
appreciate if you could tell me if there is a better newsgroup to discuss
this issue.

As a personnal project, I want to build a solution for car/motorbike
telemetry. I'm stuck in one problem, how to send data from the moving object
to the base station? The data can be of two types: events: brake on, brake
off, throttle input; and sampling the current coordinates from a gps unit. I
think a sample rate of 10 Hz is enough for the kind of application I need.
In summary, I'm trying to say that I don't need a very high bandwidth.

I know of some commercial products that are very close from what I need (a
bluetooth gps for example), but all of them fail in one prerequisite: range.
To be generic enough, I'd like the system to work even if the distance
between the base and the transmitter is up to 5 miles. What technology
should I be looking for? I think bluetooth and 802.11 are automatically out.
What about regular cell phone technology? Is there any type of component
that implement data communication using the available cell phone structure?

Some more requirements/contraints: Has to be small enough to fit on a bike,
has to be battery powered or powered from a 12v car/bike battery and the
whole solution cannot exceed the $200 mark.

Any hint helps.

Padu

happyhobit

Hi Padu,

How about a cell phone with built in modem?

Nokia 3360, Motorola V66 or Motorola v70 to name a few.

Jay

N. Thornton

"Padu" wrote in message ...
Hi,

[...]

Hi

OK Padu, hint time. Your demands are steep enough, but the last line,
and the whole solution cannot exceed the $200 mark

thats the funny bit

Good luck.

Regards, NT
N. Thornton

Eric Immel wrote in message news:q9FSa.107804$ye4.80828@sccrnsc01... N. Thornton wrote: "Padu" wrote in message ...

As a personnal project, I want to build a solution for car/motorbike
telemetry.

OK Padu, hint time. Your demands are steep enough, but the last line,

and the whole solution cannot exceed the $200 mark

thats the funny bit
Regards, NT

Actually $200US is not an unreasonable figure for a per unit retail on
10k+ units, assuming you can keep NRE below $.5M and find a suitable
chunk of spectrum.

That'd be one heck of a personal project

Regards, NT