Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default 33 and 78 rpm: Possibly same needle ?

I bought one of those USB-record players, that can easily transfer old
records
to computer files.

Here is my model: (Text in Danish, but click on the photo to see the device
well)

http://www.wr.dk/shop/lyd_stereoanla...c_5957_da.html

The idea was to transfer a few old 78 rpm records as a X-mas family
surprise. No need for excellent quality, - rather "just for the record...".

The record player certainly has the option of turning 78 rpm, and the manual
says nothing about the need of a different needle for 78-records.

I wrote to the importer and asked. He replied that nowadays it s possible to
make a needle that can play both, and that the needle provided with this (80
$) player was of that type, so I could safely play both types of records on
this player.

I find this hard to believe. How about you in the group ?

It doesn't take much googling to find evidence that the importer of the
player seems to be misinformed regarding the possible dual-performance.
This one for example : http://www.amazingmultimedia.net/78RPM.htm

But if indeed recently a new type of needle has been invented, then of
course I will just jump with joy....

Have a nice day.

/Peter

Posted to alt.electronics

http://www.wr.dk/shop/lyd_stereoanla...yt/usb_grammof...

[...]

78 rpm phonograph records are mechanicaly equivalent to cast-iron pot-
bellied stoves. I'd be much more worried about the records destroying
your "modern" needle than vice-versa. Just for reference: My
parent's (pre-1940) phonograph (78 rpm only) used real, actual,
genuine, cactus spines for needles. My recommendation: Play the 78s;
record what you get. You won't get anything better with any rational
equipment.
Posted to alt.electronics

En Hr. Hvemsomhelst wrote:
I bought one of those USB-record players,
that can easily transfer old records to computer files.
Here is my model:
(Text in Danish, but click on the photo to see the device well)
http://www.wr.dk/shop/lyd_stereoanla...c_5957_da.html

Next time, right-click the image and select *View Image*
or *Copy Link Location* or something like that
and include **that** URL in your post.

[...]The record player certainly has the option of turning 78 rpm,
and the manual says nothing about
the need of a different needle for 78-records[...]
/Peter

There are groups far more focused on this topic:
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...p:au dio.tech