Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
TP TP is offline

Default Replaced needle and seat.

I have a troy built mower 5.5 hp Tecumseh. It was dripping gas
out the carb. I removed the carb. Replaced needle and seat.
Cleaned it(spray/rinse/air)and replaced gaskets.
It does not have a carburetor adjustment screw. The engine
smokes (runs rich). Just a red primer blub on the side. What
went wrong? How do I adjust the carb?

Thanks
TP
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"TP" wrote in message
I have a troy built mower 5.5 hp Tecumseh. It was dripping gas out the
carb. I removed the carb. Replaced needle and seat. Cleaned
it(spray/rinse/air)and replaced gaskets.
It does not have a carburetor adjustment screw. The engine smokes (runs
rich). Just a red primer blub on the side. What went wrong? How do I
adjust the carb?

Thanks
TP

How old is it and what's the model number of the carb ?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

TP wrote:
I have a troy built mower 5.5 hp Tecumseh. It was dripping gas out the
carb. I removed the carb. Replaced needle and seat. Cleaned
it(spray/rinse/air)and replaced gaskets.
It does not have a carburetor adjustment screw. The engine smokes (runs
rich). Just a red primer blub on the side. What went wrong? How do I
adjust the carb?

It is adjusted by the level of the float. The higher (lower when you
have it upside down on the workbench) it is the richer it will run.

--
Art
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Artemis wrote:
TP wrote:
I have a troy built mower 5.5 hp Tecumseh. It was dripping gas out the
carb. I removed the carb. Replaced needle and seat. Cleaned
it(spray/rinse/air)and replaced gaskets.
It does not have a carburetor adjustment screw. The engine smokes (runs
rich). Just a red primer blub on the side. What went wrong? How do I
adjust the carb?

It is adjusted by the level of the float. The higher (lower when you
have it upside down on the workbench) it is the richer it will run.

--
Art

Also, the float must float- be free of leaks.

Then there are the mixture adjustments- typically high & low-speed.
Sounds like one or both of yours are waaaaay rich. Typically turning
clockwise leans mixture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The original post stated that it does not have an adjusting screw.
I would agree to look to the float level and or leaky float. There may also
be dirt in the gas that is causing the needle not to seat properly.
In a similar thread a while back, a contributor suggested that the retaining
clip for the needle, has to be installed with the opening facing the intake.
He stated that he doesn't know why this makes a difference however he
claimed that it did.
wrote in message
ups.com...

Artemis wrote:
TP wrote:
I have a troy built mower 5.5 hp Tecumseh. It was dripping gas out the
carb. I removed the carb. Replaced needle and seat. Cleaned
it(spray/rinse/air)and replaced gaskets.
It does not have a carburetor adjustment screw. The engine smokes (runs
rich). Just a red primer blub on the side. What went wrong? How do I
adjust the carb?

It is adjusted by the level of the float. The higher (lower when you
have it upside down on the workbench) it is the richer it will run.

--
Art

Also, the float must float- be free of leaks.

Then there are the mixture adjustments- typically high & low-speed.
Sounds like one or both of yours are waaaaay rich. Typically turning
clockwise leans mixture.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
ups.com...

Artemis wrote:
TP wrote:
I have a troy built mower 5.5 hp Tecumseh. It was dripping gas out the
carb. I removed the carb. Replaced needle and seat. Cleaned
it(spray/rinse/air)and replaced gaskets.
It does not have a carburetor adjustment screw. The engine smokes (runs
rich). Just a red primer blub on the side. What went wrong? How do I
adjust the carb?

It is adjusted by the level of the float. The higher (lower when you
have it upside down on the workbench) it is the richer it will run.

--
Art

Also, the float must float- be free of leaks.

Then there are the mixture adjustments- typically high & low-speed.
Sounds like one or both of yours are waaaaay rich. Typically turning
clockwise leans mixture.

Sounds like you didn't read the problem the original poster has.