Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Sony TV sound problem. Advice?

I have a standard type 27" Sony TV, about nine years old. The sound quality
has been poor for about a year now. Some channels especially sound kind of
muffled, and the volume varies up and down by itself. Seems very strange!
Someone told me that there is a component in the TV that can go wrong and it
governs the sound signal somehow. Is that the case?
Can anyone confirm that for me, before I take it in to the shop and maybe get
a song and dance? I would like to have an idea if it is fixable before I
leave it in the hands of a repair shop.

Posted to alt.electronics

LG Gray wrote:
I have a standard type 27" Sony TV, about nine years old. The sound quality
has been poor for about a year now. Some channels especially sound kind of
muffled, and the volume varies up and down by itself. Seems very strange!
Someone told me that there is a component in the TV that can go wrong and it
governs the sound signal somehow. Is that the case?
Can anyone confirm that for me, before I take it in to the shop and maybe get
a song and dance? I would like to have an idea if it is fixable before I
leave it in the hands of a repair shop.

The last Sony TV I repaired with a sound problem
turned out to have a bad electrolytic capacitor in
the audio section. As you may know, electrolytic
caps can leak and dry out. Another common problem
I find in electronic equipment is cold solder joints.
A cold solder joint may not cause a problem until
years after the product is manufactured.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.electronics
Art Art is offline

Could be anything from the tuner through the audio decoder to the audio amp.
Due to the set's age it is highly probable the set has the famous audio
decoder assembly that has been notorious for causing audio related problems.