Posted to alt.electronics
Uncle Monster Uncle Monster is offline

Default Sony TV sound problem. Advice?

LG Gray wrote:
I have a standard type 27" Sony TV, about nine years old. The sound quality
has been poor for about a year now. Some channels especially sound kind of
muffled, and the volume varies up and down by itself. Seems very strange!
Someone told me that there is a component in the TV that can go wrong and it
governs the sound signal somehow. Is that the case?
Can anyone confirm that for me, before I take it in to the shop and maybe get
a song and dance? I would like to have an idea if it is fixable before I
leave it in the hands of a repair shop.

The last Sony TV I repaired with a sound problem
turned out to have a bad electrolytic capacitor in
the audio section. As you may know, electrolytic
caps can leak and dry out. Another common problem
I find in electronic equipment is cold solder joints.
A cold solder joint may not cause a problem until
years after the product is manufactured.

[8~{} Uncle Monster