Stephan Carydakis

Default Sony VCR sound problem

Hi,

I have a Sony VCR model SLV-EZ8 which is about 6 years old. Its a 6 head
hi-fi unit. Recently, the sound on recordings made with the unit, have a
strong phasing effect during playback. It seems to be worse until it tracks
and at times the phasing is only slight but there is an obvious effect -
kind of like what you can achieve with parametric eq. I opened it up and
played around with the alignment of what I think is the sound heads and I
can make the problem lessen but not disappear unless I screw them down far
enough to make the alignment so bad that the signal turns mono. Then the
phasing and parametric eq effect TOTALLY disappear. I suppose 'natural'
phasing is a stereo effect?

Does this sound like an alignment issue or could the sound heads be worn?
Anyone got any suggestions before I fork out the caaaash for a pro to look
at it?

Thanks in advance.

Stephan Carydakis.

John

Turn off the mix mode you are listening to the linear and Hi Fi tracks at
the same time.
John.

Stephan Carydakis

Thanks John. Some one's been pressing buttons - maybe the dog. That fixed
the problem. Now I just have to realign the sound heads for a nice sound!

Stephan Carydakis wrote:
Thanks John. Some one's been pressing buttons - maybe the dog. That

fixed
the problem. Now I just have to realign the sound heads for a nice

sound

(top posting corrected)

I hope you haven't violated rule 1: Never twiddle *anything* without
first marking the original position!!
-Ben