DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sony VCR sound problem (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/96757-sony-vcr-sound-problem.html)

Stephan Carydakis March 27th 05 05:03 PM

Sony VCR sound problem

Hi,

I have a Sony VCR model SLV-EZ8 which is about 6 years old. Its a 6 head
hi-fi unit. Recently, the sound on recordings made with the unit, have a
strong phasing effect during playback. It seems to be worse until it tracks
and at times the phasing is only slight but there is an obvious effect -
kind of like what you can achieve with parametric eq. I opened it up and
played around with the alignment of what I think is the sound heads and I
can make the problem lessen but not disappear unless I screw them down far
enough to make the alignment so bad that the signal turns mono. Then the
phasing and parametric eq effect TOTALLY disappear. I suppose 'natural'
phasing is a stereo effect?

Does this sound like an alignment issue or could the sound heads be worn?
Anyone got any suggestions before I fork out the caaaash for a pro to look
at it?

Thanks in advance.

Stephan Carydakis.

John March 27th 05 11:29 PM

Turn off the mix mode you are listening to the linear and Hi Fi tracks at
the same time.
John.

Stephan Carydakis March 28th 05 05:48 AM

Thanks John. Some one's been pressing buttons - maybe the dog. That fixed
the problem. Now I just have to realign the sound heads for a nice sound!

b March 28th 05 05:22 PM

Stephan Carydakis wrote:
Thanks John. Some one's been pressing buttons - maybe the dog. That

fixed
the problem. Now I just have to realign the sound heads for a nice

sound

(top posting corrected)

I hope you haven't violated rule 1: Never twiddle *anything* without
first marking the original position!!
-Ben