Stephan Carydakis

Default Sony VCR sound problem

Hi,

I have a Sony VCR model SLV-EZ8 which is about 6 years old. Its a 6 head
hi-fi unit. Recently, the sound on recordings made with the unit, have a
strong phasing effect during playback. It seems to be worse until it tracks
and at times the phasing is only slight but there is an obvious effect -
kind of like what you can achieve with parametric eq. I opened it up and
played around with the alignment of what I think is the sound heads and I
can make the problem lessen but not disappear unless I screw them down far
enough to make the alignment so bad that the signal turns mono. Then the
phasing and parametric eq effect TOTALLY disappear. I suppose 'natural'
phasing is a stereo effect?

Does this sound like an alignment issue or could the sound heads be worn?
Anyone got any suggestions before I fork out the caaaash for a pro to look
at it?

Thanks in advance.

Stephan Carydakis.