Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Looking for cheap, portable phone tone generator

Does anyone know where I could buy a cheap DTMF tone generator?
I think that's what they are called. They used to be used to enter touch
tone phone sounds into the receivers of dial pay phones so you could
access your answering machine.

I know someone who only has rotary phones (she claims they are the only
ones that work with her hearing aids) and is moving to a place where the
main door can be remotely opened by pressing a key on her phone. Since she
doesn't have a touch tone phone, I thought a portable tone generator might
work. Radio Shack doesn't carry them and I don't know where else to look.

Yes, I could always hook up a small, touch tone phone next to her dial
phone but then she couldn't easily move it between phones. Maybe a cheap
cordless phone would work. Those I have.

Does anyone know where I could get a tiny wired phone? I had once once
(Radio Shack) and it was 2 x 1.5 x .75 inches with a 2.5 mm plug for a
mic/headset just like those used on cordless and wireless phones. It even
had "to line" and "to telephone" jacks.

Thanks for any leads or even the right search keywords on ebay. I didn't
find any with my searches.

And sorry if these aren't appropriate newsgroups. I thought people here
would know about this stuff!

Thanks! Joy
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Joy wrote:
Does anyone know where I could buy a cheap DTMF tone generator?
I think that's what they are called. They used to be used to enter
touch tone phone sounds into the receivers of dial pay phones
so you could access your answering machine.
[ . . . ]
Thanks for any leads or even the right search keywords on ebay.
I didn't find any with my searches.

I believe you're over-thinking this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=dialer+hold-it-up-to

And sorry if these aren't appropriate newsgroups.

It is kinda a misc.consumers question.

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:37:13 +0000, Joy wrote:

Does anyone know where I could buy a cheap DTMF tone generator?
I think that's what they are called. They used to be used to enter touch
tone phone sounds into the receivers of dial pay phones so you could
access your answering machine.

I know someone who only has rotary phones (she claims they are the only
ones that work with her hearing aids) and is moving to a place where the
main door can be remotely opened by pressing a key on her phone. Since she
doesn't have a touch tone phone, I thought a portable tone generator might
work. Radio Shack doesn't carry them and I don't know where else to look.

The first generation of electronic phones didn't play well with
inductive-coupled hearing aids, but the newer ones do, especially if you
buy one of the major brands. Your friend should go shopping for a new
phone. With rotary phones practically extinct, I doubt that anyone still
sells portable DTMF keypads.
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Vey Vey is offline

Joy wrote:
Does anyone know where I could buy a cheap DTMF tone generator?

Try this:
http://www.loredec.com/geodialr.htm
Posted to alt.electronics
Joy Joy is offline

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:42:22 -0400, JeffM wrote:

Joy wrote:
Does anyone know where I could buy a cheap DTMF tone generator?
I think that's what they are called. They used to be used to enter
touch tone phone sounds into the receivers of dial pay phones
so you could access your answering machine.
[ . . . ]
Thanks for any leads or even the right search keywords on ebay.
I didn't find any with my searches.

I believe you're over-thinking this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=dialer+hold-it-up-to

And sorry if these aren't appropriate newsgroups.

It is kinda a misc.consumers question.

Ok. I'm not sure how I'm over-thinking this... I appreciate ideas and
comments.
I didn't see anything on your google search although the keyword 'dialer'
was very helpful.

Thank you!

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Joy Joy is offline

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:47:53 -0400, Stephen J. Rush
wrote:

[...]

Thank you for that information. I'm sure you are correct. But the dial
phones she owns also has a built-in amplifier in the handset which is
QUITE loud. I haven't seen normal phones that loud even with volume
controls.

Thanks. Unless I find a cheap dialer, I'm thinking my idea of an old
cordless phone may work.

Joy
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:37:13 GMT, Joy wrote:

[...]

---
I don't know about sci.electronics.repair being appropriate, but
alt.electronics is, and you might also try sci.electronics.basics
and sci.electronics.misc.

In any case, there are touch-tone phones available with receiver
volume controls that ought to be able to get the volume up to where
your friend would be comfortable with it.

Click on this link:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...red+telephones

--
JF
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Joy wrote:
[...]

I don't know why you must "Acoustically couple" into this private
network . Since this is a "Private Line" a "Y" connector could
"Parallel" a "Touchtone phone" with the rotary dial phone and be picked
up to input a TT tone onto the line. The acoustic coupling was a
workaround to patch "TT" signals onto a "Public Dialup Line. These
acoustically patched generators no longer make any sense when ALL phone
lines will now accept "TT"tones Phones!

Yukio YANO
Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Joy" wrote in message
news
[...]

Hi
Try these links mate. A Streight forward answer for a change !!
:-)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Pocket-Tel...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-BT-TONE-DI...QQcmdZViewItem

also try this chap.
He sometimes lists a DTMF board, but I cant see one at the moment, but if
you e-mailed him he could give you the details.
You would need to huck up your own switches with it though.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Jupiter-Ele...ftidZ2Q QtZkm

--
Regards
Wombat

Find more info at:
http://www.wombatppc.dsl.pipex.com
http://www.youtube.com/wombatppc

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Joy wrote:
Does anyone know where I could buy a cheap DTMF tone generator?
I think that's what they are called. They used to be used to enter
touch tone phone sounds into the receivers of dial pay phones so you
could access your answering machine.

I know someone who only has rotary phones (she claims they are the
only ones that work with her hearing aids) and is moving to a place
where the main door can be remotely opened by pressing a key on her
phone. Since she doesn't have a touch tone phone, I thought a
portable tone generator might work. Radio Shack doesn't carry them
and I don't know where else to look.

A touch-tome phone will work just fine as a dialer-only.

Whether or not a phone works with her hearing aid is nothing to do with it's
dialling method. There are touch-tone phones available that have receiver
sections specifically stated to be optimised for hearing aids - she should
check with a local audiologist.

geoff

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Joy wrote:
Thank you for that information. I'm sure you are correct. But the dial
phones she owns also has a built-in amplifier in the handset which is
QUITE loud. I haven't seen normal phones that loud even with volume
controls.

They are very common.

Thanks. Unless I find a cheap dialer, I'm thinking my idea of an old
cordless phone may work.

A cheap dialler IS any cheap touch-tone phone ! She can have that hanging
off the phone she prefers to talk on. Or she could just get a touch-tone
phone known to work well with hear-aids.

geoff

Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I am guessing that your friend uses an analogue hearing aid. If this
is so and it is a behind the ear type then it should have a switch on
it with a 'T' position (Telephone). The switch should be in this
position when she is making or receiving calls. The older rotary dial
phones probably have a more powerful magnetic circuit in the receiver
and that is why these work and the dtmf types which she has tried
don't.

The problem can be quite easily be rectified by purchasing a dtmf
phone which is hearing aid compatible. These types have an additional
inductive loop coil inbuilt to provide a suitable signal level for
pick up by the hearing aid when it is switched in the 'T' position.
http://telephones.att.com/telephones...8&parent=20017

At $15 I doubt you could do it much cheaper and you won't have an
extra piece of junk hanging around just to provide dtmf.