Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Looking for cheap, portable phone tone generator

Does anyone know where I could buy a cheap DTMF tone generator?
I think that's what they are called. They used to be used to enter touch
tone phone sounds into the receivers of dial pay phones so you could
access your answering machine.

I know someone who only has rotary phones (she claims they are the only
ones that work with her hearing aids) and is moving to a place where the
main door can be remotely opened by pressing a key on her phone. Since she
doesn't have a touch tone phone, I thought a portable tone generator might
work. Radio Shack doesn't carry them and I don't know where else to look.

Yes, I could always hook up a small, touch tone phone next to her dial
phone but then she couldn't easily move it between phones. Maybe a cheap
cordless phone would work. Those I have.

Does anyone know where I could get a tiny wired phone? I had once once
(Radio Shack) and it was 2 x 1.5 x .75 inches with a 2.5 mm plug for a
mic/headset just like those used on cordless and wireless phones. It even
had "to line" and "to telephone" jacks.

Thanks for any leads or even the right search keywords on ebay. I didn't
find any with my searches.

And sorry if these aren't appropriate newsgroups. I thought people here
would know about this stuff!

Thanks! Joy