Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Cell to cell tap...

Hello guys!

Where can I read about a cell to cell wiretap?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.electronics

On 14 Jan 2007 11:11:46 -0800, "Susan"
wrote:

Hello guys!

Where can I read about a cell to cell wiretap?

Thanks.

Google?

Or you might try clarifying what you want to know? Are you asking how
to tap a cell phone to cell phone conversation? Or how to tap a
specific cell in a (lead-acid) battery? Or what?
Posted to alt.electronics

Hello PeterD.

I did a google. I only need to be able to detect a cell to cell tap on
a CDMA phone. Any bright ideas?

wrote:

Hello guys!

Where can I read about a cell to cell wiretap?

Thanks.

Google?

Or you might try clarifying what you want to know? Are you asking how
to tap a cell phone to cell phone conversation? Or how to tap a
specific cell in a (lead-acid) battery? Or what?

Posted to alt.electronics

On 14 Jan 2007 19:25:10 -0800, "Susan"
wrote:

Hello PeterD.

I did a google. I only need to be able to detect a cell to cell tap on
a CDMA phone. Any bright ideas?

So you want to detect if someone has tapped your cell-to-cell
conversations?

The days when any phone taps could be 'detected' are long gone. In
digital communications, a tap would be invisible, only the system
would know and it won't tell anyone without proper authorization. Nor
(I hope!) would the 'system' allow any third party to tap without
proper court authorization.

Your next best thing is to either encrypt with a secondary layer of
encryption (possible using headphone jack input/output) or find
another method of communications.

No, repeat NO communications are secure today. Taps cannot be
detected, only reported by the system.

Posted to alt.electronics

PeterD,

I read somewhere that there is a chip that people can put in my cell
phone ( the cell went missing for a few days ) which would allow them
to only listen in to my cell phone conversations on their cell phones
and still let them make normal call from their phones.

If this happend to my cell phone , how can i detect it ?

Please advice.

wrote:

Hello PeterD.

I did a google. I only need to be able to detect a cell to cell tap on
a CDMA phone. Any bright ideas?

So you want to detect if someone has tapped your cell-to-cell
conversations?

The days when any phone taps could be 'detected' are long gone. In
digital communications, a tap would be invisible, only the system
would know and it won't tell anyone without proper authorization. Nor
(I hope!) would the 'system' allow any third party to tap without
proper court authorization.

Your next best thing is to either encrypt with a secondary layer of
encryption (possible using headphone jack input/output) or find
another method of communications.

No, repeat NO communications are secure today. Taps cannot be
detected, only reported by the system.

Posted to alt.electronics

On 15 Jan 2007 07:45:48 -0800, "Susan"
wrote:

PeterD,

I read somewhere that there is a chip that people can put in my cell
phone ( the cell went missing for a few days ) which would allow them
to only listen in to my cell phone conversations on their cell phones
and still let them make normal call from their phones.

If this happend to my cell phone , how can i detect it ?

Please advice.

As in: "It must be true, I read it on the Internet"? g

Susan, I really think you are worried about nothing, or you have
everything to worry about. I'm not sure which it is however. I don't
know your personal circumstances, so it is hard to tell.

As to putting a tapping device into a modern cell phone, though
technically possible there are some serious limitations and problems.
Take a common flip phone: in that phone is an incredible amoutn of
equipment, a digital cell phone, a digital camera (usually), a
computer/display system, battery and a lot of other stuff. There is
little room for additional equipment or parts.

Let's say someone did do it however (after all, nothing is
impossible). They'd have to be within a reasonable distance from your
phone itself to pick up your conversations. They'd have to follow you
around if you are mobile! Not trivial, even law enforcement won't do
this unless it is very high stakes.

Let's say you have a legit reason to worry. (And you are not a big
time drug dealer). Do you have insurance on your phone? If so drop it
as many times as necessary to make it not work. Get a new phone.
Whatever was in the old phone is now gone. No phone insurance? Get a
new phone! I"ve seen outright purchase prices under $100 for basic
models, and many cell phone stores will wheel and deal to get you as a
customer, even to the extent of getting you a used but serviceable
phone. You might be out of pocket in that case maybe a $25 activation
fee, but not much more.

FWIW, those who wonder how this type of thing is really done, in many
phones it is possible to disassemble the battery pack, put in a 'bug'
and a physically smaller battery pack and fit it all back together.
This is one reason why the newer phones which use bare batteries are
less vunerable to this type of abuse.

Regardless if someone does this to you, they are spending big money
and time on this and your phone is probably only one of many bugs that
you have collected around you.

Posted to alt.electronics

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:22:04 +0000, Coyoteboy
wrote:

PeterD wrote:
your phone is probably only one of many bugs that
you have collected around you.

go on, feed her paranoia

We aim to please...

Can I switch the sim in my damaged Cell Phone to a new Cell Phone? [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 September 30th 06 12:58 AM
Cell Phone Question liz Home Ownership 3 July 11th 06 12:28 AM
O.T. Cell Phone E. Walter Le Roy Metalworking 14 May 8th 06 04:23 PM
Help with Seal-a-Cell Jim Bailey Woodworking 1 July 23rd 05 04:18 PM
Cell Phone M. Anas Electronics 1 July 13th 04 01:17 PM