Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default PIC/EEPROM programmer for use with IBM XT

Hey all. I am an EE student and have been setting up part of the basement
as an electronic shop. I have an IBM XT 5160 that I would like to set up to
burn PICs and EEPROMs. I have taken some classes on this and it is
fascinating! It would be awesome to be able to program my own chips.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any model PIC and/or EEPROM
programmers that have either a parallel or serial interface? Also, I would
need to know of software for assembly and hex programming. The computer
runs DOS 4.01.

Surely I could find this stuff somewhere like on eBay, but I don't know even
what to start looking for. Like I said, if anyone could recommend a brand
or model it woul dbe very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!

Ernie

Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-08-21, Ernie Werbel wrote:
Hey all. I am an EE student and have been setting up part of the basement
as an electronic shop. I have an IBM XT 5160 that I would like to set up to
burn PICs and EEPROMs. I have taken some classes on this and it is
fascinating! It would be awesome to be able to program my own chips.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any model PIC and/or EEPROM
programmers that have either a parallel or serial interface? Also, I would
need to know of software for assembly and hex programming. The computer
runs DOS 4.01.

if you can spare $30 bucks get a better pc.
something that'll run win98 or linux (prolly need a new screen, keyboard,
mouse too make it $60)

Surely I could find this stuff somewhere like on eBay, but I don't know even
what to start looking for.

google will find you heaps of schematics for pic programmers.
get some practice building one.

--

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to alt.electronics

On 2006-08-21, Ernie Werbel wrote:
Hey all. I am an EE student and have been setting up part of the basement
as an electronic shop. I have an IBM XT 5160 that I would like to set up to
burn PICs and EEPROMs. I have taken some classes on this and it is
fascinating! It would be awesome to be able to program my own chips.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any model PIC and/or EEPROM
programmers that have either a parallel or serial interface? Also, I would
need to know of software for assembly and hex programming. The computer
runs DOS 4.01.

if you can spare $30 bucks get a better pc.
something that'll run win98 or linux (prolly need a new screen, keyboard,
mouse too make it $60)

I hate Windows 9x. The interface is ugly and it is too confusing. I prefer the
Windows 3.1 Program Manager. It is cleaner, easier, and MUCH much faster.

Besides the purpose of getting the IBM XT was for these capabilities. You can't
do much on Windows 98 in the way of tweaking the system.

Surely I could find this stuff somewhere like on eBay, but I don't know even
what to start looking for.

google will find you heaps of schematics for pic programmers.
get some practice building one.

Great idea, I will look into that. Perhaps I can do one with a serial
interface.

Posted to alt.electronics

Im an EE , by the time you are highly productive at engineering , the
PIC
and Rabbit and all pop chips today will be DEAD .

There is a low power all in one , self contained CPU that is so cheap
it dominates the coffee makers / appliance pdts .
Its big brother is the heart of all PDA computers .

ARM CPU s like TDMI7 ( tdmi7) will kill all MCU's .
It has lots of RAM , FLASH and more I/O lines than anything now avail
!

BTW I will be doin a free NewForth OpSys for the PDA . I will
use the www.littlechips.com Eval' board $300 ...