Electronics (alt.electronics)

Frank Raffaeli

Default How to find a consultant

John Larkin wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 15:53:08 +0000, Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:

The best way to find a consultant is through Google. Let's
say you want the very best consultant who specializes in
electronics; Google search on 'electrical engineer resume' or
'electronics engineer resume' or 'electronic engineer resume':

http://www.google.com/search?q=elect...ngineer+resume
http://www.google.com/search?q=elect...ngineer+resume
http://www.google.com/search?q=elect...ngineer+resume

Google has a sophisticated algorithm that is quite good at
identifying the resume of the very best engineer and putting
it at or near the top of the results listing.

Such a coincidence: the very first search pulls up

http://www.guymacon.com/

who, technically, isn't an engineer at all. Sounds like Google
actually has a rotten algorithm.

More vanity and stupid web tricks. What a pretentious fathead!

John

You may have overestimated the search engine,

For example, If you Google "poor to nonexistent" engineer:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...er&btnG=Search

Just an observation.

Frank Raffaeli
http://www.aomwireless.com/

Guy Macon

Jim Douglas wrote:

Frank Raffaeli wrote...

You may have overestimated the search engine,

For example, If you Google "poor to nonexistent" engineer:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...er&btnG=Search

Just an observation.

Nope, Google is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
I wrote those words because they are true, and anyone hiring me
needs to know what i am excellent at and what I am poor at.

Sounds like you may have some "google envy", whereas another individual
shows up more on google that you do! WTF, who cares, get over it!

Google Envy... That's a good one! Maybe he's like Larkin,
intimidated by his technical and social superiors.

Frank Raffaeli

Guy Macon wrote:
Jim Douglas wrote:

Frank Raffaeli wrote...

You may have overestimated the search engine,

For example, If you Google "poor to nonexistent" engineer:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...er&btnG=Search

Just an observation.

Nope, Google is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
I wrote those words because they are true, and anyone hiring me
needs to know what i am excellent at and what I am poor at.

Sounds like you may have some "google envy", whereas another individual
shows up more on google that you do! WTF, who cares, get over it!

Google Envy... That's a good one! Maybe he's like Larkin,
intimidated by his technical and social superiors.

Nah,

Larkin's a pretty sharp guy. I couldn't resist taking a poke at the
search engine comments in your OP, which were, I presume, in good fun
.... as were mine.

Frank Raffaeli
http://www.aomwireless.com/

CWatters

Google Envy... That's a good one!

Na, can't be that. Otherwise well just try searching for "dumb terminal
engineer" see who's number 3 on the list :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dumb+engineer

Only joking!

Guy Macon

\CWatters wrote:

Google Envy... That's a good one!

Na, can't be that. Otherwise well just try searching for "dumb terminal
engineer" see who's number 3 on the list :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dumb+engineer

Only joking!

big smile

I loved those old ADM-3 Dumb Terminals. What a great product name!

Jim Thompson

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:12:13 GMT, "CWatters"
wrote:

Google Envy... That's a good one!

Na, can't be that. Otherwise well just try searching for "dumb terminal
engineer" see who's number 3 on the list :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dumb+engineer

Only joking!

Bwahahahahaha!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Frank Raffaeli

CWatters wrote:
Google Envy... That's a good one!

Na, can't be that. Otherwise well just try searching for "dumb terminal
engineer" see who's number 3 on the list :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dumb+engineer

Only joking!

Or dumb engineering diva
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...& btnG=Search

Gosh, maybe I am envious. ;-)

Frank Raffaeli
http://www.aomwireless.com/

keith

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:12:13 +0000, CWatters wrote:

Google Envy... That's a good one!

Na, can't be that. Otherwise well just try searching for "dumb terminal
engineer" see who's number 3 on the list :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dumb+engineer

Oh, crap! He can't keep a job!

Only joking!

I'm not.

--
Keith

John Fields

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:21:32 +0000, Guy Macon
wrote:

\CWatters wrote:

Google Envy... That's a good one!

Na, can't be that. Otherwise well just try searching for "dumb terminal
engineer" see who's number 3 on the list :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dumb+engineer

Only joking!

big smile

I loved those old ADM-3 Dumb Terminals.

---
Kindred spirits?

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

John Fields

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 21:43:21 +0000, Guy Macon
wrote:

Jim Douglas wrote:

Frank Raffaeli wrote...

You may have overestimated the search engine,

For example, If you Google "poor to nonexistent" engineer:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...er&btnG=Search

Just an observation.

Nope, Google is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
I wrote those words because they are true, and anyone hiring me
needs to know what i am excellent at and what I am poor at.

Sounds like you may have some "google envy", whereas another individual
shows up more on google that you do! WTF, who cares, get over it!

Google Envy... That's a good one! Maybe he's like Larkin,
intimidated by his technical and social superiors.

---
First you get yourself into a fix by flaming Win, and come out of it
by electing to apologize and kiss ass 'til the cows come home, and now
you're going after Larkin? You're so far to the rear of where he is,
technically and socially, and everyone else that you've chosen to go
after, that it seems what you're looking for is a series of good
whippings to atone for your excursions into stupidity and prove to
yourself that you're at least worth being whipped.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:35:05 -0500, "Jim Douglas"
wrote:

Sounds like you may have some "google envy", whereas another individual
shows up more on google that you do! WTF, who cares, get over it!

The funny part is that the same search criteria on Google can and will
yield different results in as little as minutes to hours sometimes, at
least in the order of importance...if I am not mistaken.

Tom

"Frank Raffaeli" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

John Larkin

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:30:18 -0400, keith wrote:

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:12:13 +0000, CWatters wrote:

Google Envy... That's a good one!

Na, can't be that. Otherwise well just try searching for "dumb terminal
engineer" see who's number 3 on the list :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dumb+engineer

Oh, crap! He can't keep a job!

Gosh, any ideas why?

John

ehsjr

Guy Macon wrote:
Jim Douglas wrote:

Frank Raffaeli wrote...

You may have overestimated the search engine,

For example, If you Google "poor to nonexistent" engineer:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...er&btnG=Search

Just an observation.

Nope, Google is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
I wrote those words because they are true, and anyone hiring me
needs to know what i am excellent at and what I am poor at.

Sounds like you may have some "google envy", whereas another individual
shows up more on google that you do! WTF, who cares, get over it!

Google Envy... That's a good one! Maybe he's like Larkin,
intimidated by his technical and social superiors.

On your best day, you might consider yourself to be lucky
if you were 1/10th of Larkin on his worst.

Ed
Frank Raffaeli

Guy Macon wrote:
Jim Douglas wrote:

Frank Raffaeli wrote...

[snipped ...]

Sounds like you may have some "google envy", whereas another individual
shows up more on google that you do! WTF, who cares, get over it!

Google Envy... That's a good one! Maybe he's like Larkin,
intimidated by his technical and social superiors.

That's a new one - usually only my best clients question my social and
technical skills, and this guy hasn't paid me a dime! I'm not sure if
he's joking, as he claims in the search engine thread, or if he really
believes his own bull****.

In case there is any doubt, here is one possible scenario when
performing a search for the following:

{dumb engineering guy} top of the list
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ngineering+guy

any serious critique, and we may
{see guy flame the engineer} (also number 1)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...the+engi neer

and in case there was any doubt, we may rest assured, for we have:
{proven macon is dumb}
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...+macon+is+dumb

Hope this helps

Frank Raffaeli
http://www.aomwireless.com/

Rich Grise

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:35:05 -0500, Jim Douglas wrote:

Sounds like you may have some "google envy", whereas another individual
shows up more on google that you do! WTF, who cares, get over it!

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&... 2&btnG=Search
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...ff&sa=N&tab=wg

:-)

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 21:43:21 +0000, Guy Macon wrote:
Jim Douglas wrote:
Frank Raffaeli wrote...

You may have overestimated the search engine,

For example, If you Google "poor to nonexistent" engineer:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...er&btnG=Search

Just an observation.

Nope, Google is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
I wrote those words because they are true, and anyone hiring me
needs to know what i am excellent at and what I am poor at.

Well, yeah, but ... um ... what about the things that you're
not very good at, but don't know it?

Sounds like you may have some "google envy", whereas another individual
shows up more on google that you do! WTF, who cares, get over it!

Google Envy... That's a good one! Maybe he's like Larkin,
intimidated by his technical and social superiors.

What? Now you're badmouthing John Larkin? What's he ever done to
you except tell the truth?

Sheesh!
Rich

Oh, wait. Guy Macon has me plonkfiled, so he doesn't have to hear
any rebuttal from me.

That's a hell of a way to run an engineering business - close
oneself off to feedback.

Oh, well.

Rich Grise

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:12:13 +0000, CWatters wrote:

Google Envy... That's a good one!

Na, can't be that. Otherwise well just try searching for "dumb terminal
engineer" see who's number 3 on the list :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dumb+engineer

Only joking!

"Cryptographic atomic-decay random number generator..."???

Heck, even _I_ know what all those words mean! ;-D

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise

wrote:

\CWatters wrote:

Google Envy... That's a good one!

Na, can't be that. Otherwise well just try searching for "dumb terminal
engineer" see who's number 3 on the list :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dumb+engineer

Only joking!

big smile

I loved those old ADM-3 Dumb Terminals.

Kindred spirits?

You wish! ;-) ;-) ;-)

I've built a dumb terminal. Kinda like the "TV Typewriter". Hey,
didn't Don Lancaster write that TV Typewriter article? I was
so frickin' proud of myself, because I pipelined the character
ROM. ;-) IIRC, my "dumb" terminal had a uP in it, just to
initialize the video sync generator, and manage shuttling
characters from the input to the screen. It might have been
a Z-80; I don't specifically remember which uP it was - it might
have been a Motorola - it was so long ago. *-) - except that I _do_
remember that my keyboard thing used a 6502. I had got a naked, raw
keyboard at some swap meet - each key had two terminals sticking out of
the plastic behind it. 64 (or so) individual SPST switches; and I
had a passel of uPs and RAMs and stuff, because I was working at
the video game place where they'd bring in an obsolete video game,
and for about a tenth the price of a new game, they'd refurb
the cabinet, and swap out the board with a 'Mr. Do!'. They
tossed the OE board. Everything from Asteroids to Space Invaders
to games nobody's even ever heard of - I had dozens of discarded,
but still fully functional, video game boards. This is a PCB
about the footprint of a PC Motherboard.

Sigh, those were the days.

I also once as a programming exercise, wrote a dumb terminal.
I admit, I used CodeView, the popup debugger, to steal somebody
else's COM port interrupt handler, but the rest of it was a
piece of cake. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Pig Bladder

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:30:39 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:30:18 -0400, keith wrote:

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:12:13 +0000, CWatters wrote:

Google Envy... That's a good one!

Na, can't be that. Otherwise well just try searching for "dumb terminal
engineer" see who's number 3 on the list :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dumb+engineer

Oh, crap! He can't keep a job!

Gosh, any ideas why?

Yeah, but it wouldn't be polite to list them. ;-P

Thanks,
Rich

John Larkin

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:31:36 GMT, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:12:13 +0000, CWatters wrote:

Google Envy... That's a good one!

Na, can't be that. Otherwise well just try searching for "dumb terminal
engineer" see who's number 3 on the list :-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+dumb+engineer

Only joking!

"Cryptographic atomic-decay random number generator..."???

Heck, even _I_ know what all those words mean! ;-D

Cheers!
Rich

Silly, though. A zener noise generator makes a lot more sense.

John

Guy Macon

Rich Grise wrote:

Oh, wait. Guy Macon has me plonkfiled, so he doesn't have to hear
any rebuttal from me.

No I don't. Do you wish me to?

That's a hell of a way to run an engineering business - close
oneself off to feedback.

Sophmoric namecalling is not feedback. It's noise injected into
the feedback loop.

Guy Macon

Rich Grise wrote:

"Cryptographic atomic-decay random number generator..."???

Heck, even _I_ know what all those words mean! ;-D

Don't blame me. The customer was quite specific as to what he
wanted.

John Fields

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:41:21 +0000, Guy Macon
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

Oh, wait. Guy Macon has me plonkfiled, so he doesn't have to hear
any rebuttal from me.

No I don't. Do you wish me to?

That's a hell of a way to run an engineering business - close
oneself off to feedback.

Sophmoric namecalling is not feedback. It's noise injected into
the feedback loop.

---

It _is_ feedback, but not feedback which a freshman could be expected
to appreciate.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Jim Thompson

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

Oh, wait. Guy Macon has me plonkfiled, so he doesn't have to hear
any rebuttal from me.

No I don't. Do you wish me to?

That's a hell of a way to run an engineering business - close
oneself off to feedback.

Sophmoric namecalling is not feedback. It's noise injected into
the feedback loop.

---

It _is_ feedback, but not feedback which a freshman could be expected
to appreciate.

Of course not... after all it is SOPHOMORIC ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

keith

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

Oh, wait. Guy Macon has me plonkfiled, so he doesn't have to hear
any rebuttal from me.

No I don't. Do you wish me to?

That's a hell of a way to run an engineering business - close
oneself off to feedback.

Sophmoric namecalling is not feedback. It's noise injected into
the feedback loop.

---

It _is_ feedback, but not feedback which a freshman could be expected
to appreciate.

Of course not... after all it is SOPHOMORIC ;-)

Come on Jim! Everyone knows a sophomore is older and wiser than a
freshman. After all, "sophomore" == sophisticated moron.

--

Keith

Jim Thompson

wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

Oh, wait. Guy Macon has me plonkfiled, so he doesn't have to hear
any rebuttal from me.

No I don't. Do you wish me to?

That's a hell of a way to run an engineering business - close
oneself off to feedback.

Sophmoric namecalling is not feedback. It's noise injected into
the feedback loop.

---

It _is_ feedback, but not feedback which a freshman could be expected
to appreciate.

Of course not... after all it is SOPHOMORIC ;-)

Come on Jim! Everyone knows a sophomore is older and wiser than a
freshman. After all, "sophomore" == sophisticated moron.

Duh! The comments were SOPHOMORIC and directed at a FROSH... get it
?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 21:43:21 +0000, Guy Macon
Nope, Google is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

Why do people keep harping on this inferior technology? The buzzword
that makes the dictionary is supposed to be Yahoo, not Google! You
don't "Google" something, you "Yahoo" it! People! Get your icons
straight!

Google sucks as a search engine and has always been run around circles
by Yahoo. The only good use for Google is its USENET archive.

exxos

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:35:05 -0500, Jim Douglas wrote:

Sounds like you may have some "google envy", whereas another individual
shows up more on google that you do! WTF, who cares, get over it!

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&... 2&btnG=Search
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...ff&sa=N&tab=wg

:-)

Cheers!
Rich

Now theres someone with a real problem ;-) lol

Chris