Rono

Default Special cleaner!

What's the best cleaner, or mixture of cleaners
to do cleanup of "fire damaged" T.V.'s, VCR's,
stereos, computers, & monitors? I've heard people
say, use spray-9, & glass cleaner, & aftershave mixed
together! Anyone have a special mix? Rono.

Tim Schwartz

Rono,

Having had some fire damaged equipment myself, I can say there is no
easy answer. Rubbing alcohol removes a lot of the soot very well, but
can damage some plastics and finishes. Anything mechanical, like a VCR
will probably have so much junk in the bearings and moving parts that
they are not worth the effort, as cleaning will remove all lubrication.
Also, however much cleaning you do, expect some residual odor forever,
especially in hot, humid weather.

To clean out a preamp of mine, which was not easily replaced, I had to
remove the 4 PC boards, scrub them down with alcohol and rinse them off
with water, then use a fan to force dry the boards. The metal work had
to go in the sink with lots of hot water. The preamp took 6-8 hours,
but was an expensive unit that was easy to take apart, and had no moving
parts other than the switches and controls which I was able to
relubricate.

The soot is likely to have some conductivity, as it is mostly carbon,
so it can cause all sorts of problems in high impedance circuits and
high voltage circuits.

In general, there is a good reason that insurance companies "TOTAL"
equipment that has been through fires.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Rono wrote:

What's the best cleaner, or mixture of cleaners
to do cleanup of "fire damaged" T.V.'s, VCR's,
stereos, computers, & monitors? I've heard people
say, use spray-9, & glass cleaner, & aftershave mixed
together! Anyone have a special mix? Rono.

James Sweet

"Tim Schwartz" wrote in message
Rono,

Having had some fire damaged equipment myself, I can say there is no
easy answer. Rubbing alcohol removes a lot of the soot very well, but
can damage some plastics and finishes. Anything mechanical, like a VCR
will probably have so much junk in the bearings and moving parts that
they are not worth the effort, as cleaning will remove all lubrication.
Also, however much cleaning you do, expect some residual odor forever,
especially in hot, humid weather.

Simple Green works very well for cleaning just about anything, just dilute
it with some warm water and scrub gently.

none

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 07:53:13 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"Tim Schwartz" wrote in message
Rono,

Having had some fire damaged equipment myself, I can say there is no
easy answer. Rubbing alcohol removes a lot of the soot very well, but
can damage some plastics and finishes. Anything mechanical, like a VCR
will probably have so much junk in the bearings and moving parts that
they are not worth the effort, as cleaning will remove all lubrication.
Also, however much cleaning you do, expect some residual odor forever,
especially in hot, humid weather.

Simple Green works very well for cleaning just about anything, just dilute
it with some warm water and scrub gently.

I'd salvaged a fire damaged vcr a couple of months back.
Entire front plastic cover was melted, everything else was fine
besides being soot covered.
I use a cleaner similar to simple green called mean grean.
Much like fantastik or 409 in that it doesn't harm plastic as simple
green can if left on too long, yet is a very effective cleaner.(You
can get it at Wal-Mart or your local dollar store etc...)
With the unit I salvaged I just popped of the melted front cover and
use the control buttons on the front panel pcb to run it.( I use it
with a security camera mostly.) Fortunately all the buttons are marked
as to function.
Cleaned the inside with foam swabs and cleaner, then relubed the
mechanisms, cleaned the heads and it runs great.
You can also get a odor killer in a spray bottle just for smoke
damage. Try Wal-mart, Auto parts store or local hardware stores for
it.

Adding an electronic air cleaner to my return air duct Daniel Prince Home Repair 0 December 17th 04 08:21 PM
Pool cleaner floating Mike Home Repair 2 May 5th 04 02:44 PM
Kenmore (Sears) Water Softener Cleaner -- How often? L. Dwynn Lafleur Home Repair 4 January 25th 04 07:28 AM
Interior special effects : marbling, Trompe l'oeil, etc - RECOMMENDATION hotjax UK diy 6 October 3rd 03 02:58 AM
Hayward Navigator pool cleaner gets stuck at steps Pond Scum Home Repair 2 July 31st 03 05:10 PM