John Keiser

Default Bad CD Repair?

I have a truck repair manual on CDR which I've used only a dozen times. I
didn't make a back up as I use this infrequently. No visible defects except
for possibly a small "bubble" next to the spindel hole and well inside the
data area. Otherwise, seems clean as a whistle. ["Lead Data, Inc." mfg
the CD]

Today, it won't read. CD Diagnostics reports a gross % of soft errors on
one PC and another PC won't even recognize the disc.

Nero copy mode shows errors and stalls out.

I guess I'll need to buy another.

But, just wondering, any ideas on if this might be salvagable? How? The
failure itself disturbs me as I never thought a CD would fail so secretly.
Any comments on why this happened might be enlightening.

Thank you.

Thanks.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

John Keiser

I should have added one more fact:

This CDR has a paste-on lable. Looks very professional but could the glue
have done this over a 1 year period?

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Sam Goldwasser

"John Keiser" writes:

I should have added one more fact:

This CDR has a paste-on lable. Looks very professional but could the glue
have done this over a 1 year period?

Yes. The label side on some CD-Rs is very fragile.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Ivor Floppy

"John Keiser" wrote in message
I should have added one more fact:

This CDR has a paste-on lable. Looks very professional but could the glue
have done this over a 1 year period?

More than likely, especially if its one of the cheap 'silver' CDRs without
any protection over the aluminium layer. I've had the same thing happen to
me before now.

Dan

Assuming this is a commercial product, try complaining to the supplier.
Chances are if it happened to you, it's happened to others. Maybe you
can get a replacement.

Dan

Ivor Floppy wrote:
"John Keiser" wrote in message

I should have added one more fact:

This CDR has a paste-on lable. Looks very professional but could the glue
have done this over a 1 year period?

More than likely, especially if its one of the cheap 'silver' CDRs without
any protection over the aluminium layer. I've had the same thing happen to
me before now.

Bill Degener

John Keiser wrote:
I have a truck repair manual on CDR which I've used only a dozen times. I
didn't make a back up as I use this infrequently. No visible defects except
for possibly a small "bubble" next to the spindel hole and well inside the
data area. Otherwise, seems clean as a whistle. ["Lead Data, Inc." mfg
the CD]

Today, it won't read. CD Diagnostics reports a gross % of soft errors on
one PC and another PC won't even recognize the disc.

Nero copy mode shows errors and stalls out.

I guess I'll need to buy another.

But, just wondering, any ideas on if this might be salvagable? How? The
failure itself disturbs me as I never thought a CD would fail so secretly.
Any comments on why this happened might be enlightening.

Thank you.

Thanks.

I'm getting the feeling programs will come out on cheap non volatile USB
sticks someday. Maybe those will be more reliable, but then again I
guess there will be a 50 pack for $ 5.00 and here we go again with the
same old problem "Cheap Media".
Gary J Tait

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:03:43 -0600, Bill Degener
wrote:

John Keiser wrote:
[...]

They won't, optical media is so cheap, so is bandwidth, so a lot of
software will be downloaded over the web. You will only see USB for
high copy protection/user authentication.
Mike

In article 28%0e.23702$b_6.8077@trnddc01,
John Keiser wrote:
I should have added one more fact:

This CDR has a paste-on lable. Looks very professional but could the glue
have done this over a 1 year period?

Yes. I have some "Lead Data" CDRs. All about 6 years from point of purchase
and burning. The labelled ones have died, the unlabelled ones are fine. All
are "bare top" disks (lacquered, but not painted).

By "died" I mean audio disks scritch and scratch from half way through to
unplayable at the end. Nero CD-DVD Speed reports C1 errors in spades from
the word go, increasing across the disc. C2 errors (more serious) start
occurring early on, and ramp up to the outside of the disk.

This leads me to believe that they are not very robust (compared with
painted disks). The labels are the correct CD labels, applied with a Pressit
Kit. The CD-Rs are fine when not labelled. The combination of the two is
just not good ...

I don't label CD-Rs anymore. It's just too much risk to look "flashy"

Considering the risk of accidental detachment of the label, along with
accidental detachment of your data, and the penalty of destroying your
nice shiny 16xDVD writer, is it worth it?
Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/