Gary J Tait

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:03:43 -0600, Bill Degener
wrote:

John Keiser wrote:
I have a truck repair manual on CDR which I've used only a dozen times. I
didn't make a back up as I use this infrequently. No visible defects except
for possibly a small "bubble" next to the spindel hole and well inside the
data area. Otherwise, seems clean as a whistle. ["Lead Data, Inc." mfg
the CD]

Today, it won't read. CD Diagnostics reports a gross % of soft errors on
one PC and another PC won't even recognize the disc.

Nero copy mode shows errors and stalls out.

I guess I'll need to buy another.

But, just wondering, any ideas on if this might be salvagable? How? The
failure itself disturbs me as I never thought a CD would fail so secretly.
Any comments on why this happened might be enlightening.

Thank you.

Thanks.

I'm getting the feeling programs will come out on cheap non volatile USB
sticks someday. Maybe those will be more reliable, but then again I
guess there will be a 50 pack for $ 5.00 and here we go again with the
same old problem "Cheap Media".

They won't, optical media is so cheap, so is bandwidth, so a lot of
software will be downloaded over the web. You will only see USB for
high copy protection/user authentication.