Peter Orban

Default Refrigerator compressor starting

Hi Everyone,

We have fridge, about 15 years old, GE make.
Increasingly it hesitates when starting the compressor. The relay
clicks, and then nothing. It tries it a couple of times, then finally
the compressor starts. Unfortunately it starts doing this more frequently.
I have checked Sam's notes, and it looks that it is either the starting
relay or the compressor itself.
Any anecdotal comment on which one is more likely to fail?
Are starting relays repairable?

Thanks, Peter

Jerry G.

If the relay is bad, it will have to be replaced. These from my experience
these are not reliably repairable. If you put a volt meter across the
compressor input, and see voltage there, and the compressor is not starting,
it is very likely the compressor has to be replaced.

Your best solution is to call a service person who can properly deal with
your refrigerator problem, unless you don't mind loosing all of its contents
very soon. It does sound like the compressor will eventually not start at
all.

When replacing the compressor, the gas will have to be let out, and the
system will have to be re-gassed. If your refrigerator is using the older
gas, it will be very expensive to re-gas it. For some of the older models,
there is a modification kit. You will have to re-evaluate everything at that
point, and see if it is cheaper to scrap the old fridge, and get a newer
one. The new ones are much more energy efficient, and will last a long time.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Peter Orban" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

We have fridge, about 15 years old, GE make.
Increasingly it hesitates when starting the compressor. The relay
clicks, and then nothing. It tries it a couple of times, then finally
the compressor starts. Unfortunately it starts doing this more frequently.
I have checked Sam's notes, and it looks that it is either the starting
relay or the compressor itself.
Any anecdotal comment on which one is more likely to fail?
Are starting relays repairable?

Thanks, Peter

Sam Goldwasser

"Jerry G." writes:

If the relay is bad, it will have to be replaced. These from my experience
these are not reliably repairable. If you put a volt meter across the
compressor input, and see voltage there, and the compressor is not starting,
it is very likely the compressor has to be replaced.

If there is voltage at both the start and run windings.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

NSM

"Peter Orban" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

We have fridge, about 15 years old, GE make.
Increasingly it hesitates when starting the compressor. The relay
clicks, and then nothing. It tries it a couple of times, then finally
the compressor starts. Unfortunately it starts doing this more frequently.
I have checked Sam's notes, and it looks that it is either the starting
relay or the compressor itself.
Any anecdotal comment on which one is more likely to fail?

The relay. Possibly the capacitor.

Are starting relays repairable?

I've done it but no. My test would be to start it with manual switches. If
that's OK then it's the switch. If not, check the cap. If still no, look for
a good deal or get a free fridge from www.freecycle.org

Forget about compressor repair/replacement.

AutoTracer

Mine did that last year. Eventually the compresser wouldn't start at all.
I had to replace the whole fridge. Replacing a compressor is like changing
a picture tube; not worth it at all. repair cost as much or more than
replacement. 15-20 years is the intended life of a fridge anyway.

"Peter Orban" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

We have fridge, about 15 years old, GE make.
Increasingly it hesitates when starting the compressor. The relay
clicks, and then nothing. It tries it a couple of times, then finally
the compressor starts. Unfortunately it starts doing this more frequently.
I have checked Sam's notes, and it looks that it is either the starting
relay or the compressor itself.
Any anecdotal comment on which one is more likely to fail?
Are starting relays repairable?

Thanks, Peter

James Sweet

"Peter Orban" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

We have fridge, about 15 years old, GE make.
Increasingly it hesitates when starting the compressor. The relay
clicks, and then nothing. It tries it a couple of times, then finally
the compressor starts. Unfortunately it starts doing this more frequently.
I have checked Sam's notes, and it looks that it is either the starting
relay or the compressor itself.
Any anecdotal comment on which one is more likely to fail?
Are starting relays repairable?

Thanks, Peter

Does it have a starting capacitor? In my experience with electric motors,
that fails more often than anything else.

Peter Orban

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for all the comments and ideas!
The fridge is working now, so no further investigation has been done.
I was not planning to replace the compressor if that is the cause. Also
checked the price of a starting relay, it is C$25.00 - C$50.00.
I do not know if the unit has a starting capacitor, I will certainly
check that one too.

Thanks again, Peter