Jerry G.

If the relay is bad, it will have to be replaced. These from my experience
these are not reliably repairable. If you put a volt meter across the
compressor input, and see voltage there, and the compressor is not starting,
it is very likely the compressor has to be replaced.

Your best solution is to call a service person who can properly deal with
your refrigerator problem, unless you don't mind loosing all of its contents
very soon. It does sound like the compressor will eventually not start at
all.

When replacing the compressor, the gas will have to be let out, and the
system will have to be re-gassed. If your refrigerator is using the older
gas, it will be very expensive to re-gas it. For some of the older models,
there is a modification kit. You will have to re-evaluate everything at that
point, and see if it is cheaper to scrap the old fridge, and get a newer
one. The new ones are much more energy efficient, and will last a long time.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Peter Orban" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

We have fridge, about 15 years old, GE make.
Increasingly it hesitates when starting the compressor. The relay
clicks, and then nothing. It tries it a couple of times, then finally
the compressor starts. Unfortunately it starts doing this more frequently.
I have checked Sam's notes, and it looks that it is either the starting
relay or the compressor itself.
Any anecdotal comment on which one is more likely to fail?
Are starting relays repairable?

Thanks, Peter