NSM

"Peter Orban" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

We have fridge, about 15 years old, GE make.
Increasingly it hesitates when starting the compressor. The relay
clicks, and then nothing. It tries it a couple of times, then finally
the compressor starts. Unfortunately it starts doing this more frequently.
I have checked Sam's notes, and it looks that it is either the starting
relay or the compressor itself.
Any anecdotal comment on which one is more likely to fail?

The relay. Possibly the capacitor.

Are starting relays repairable?

I've done it but no. My test would be to start it with manual switches. If
that's OK then it's the switch. If not, check the cap. If still no, look for
a good deal or get a free fridge from www.freecycle.org

Forget about compressor repair/replacement.